● Reestablish your authority while building trust.
● Identify and enforce nonnegotiable rules.
● Use rewards and incentives that work.
● Communicate and problem-solve effectively-even in the heat of the moment.
● Restore positive feelings in your relationship.
● Develop your teen's skills for becoming a successful adult.
Vivid stories and answers to frequently asked questions help you put the techniques into action. The updated second edition incorporates new scientific research on why some teens have more problems with self-control than others.
|Publisher:||Tantor Media, Inc.|
|Product dimensions:||5.30(w) x 7.40(h) x 0.60(d)|
About the Author
Arthur L. Robin, PhD, is director of psychology training at children's hospital of Michigan and professor of psychiatry and behavioral neurosciences at Wayne State University. Dr. Robin is a practicing psychologist with more than forty years of clinical experience.
Barry Abrams has narrated and produced audiobooks for a variety of publishers. Since 2012, he has also hosted and produced ESPN's In the Gate podcast. Based in Danbury, Connecticut, Barry engineers and calls live webcasts of his son's ice hockey games.
Table of Contents
I. You and Your Defiant Teen
1. What Defiance Isand What You Should Do about It
2. How Defiance Develops
3. What Does Adolescence Have to Do with It?
4. Is It Just Your Teen's Personality?
5. Where Do You Come In?
6. How to Find a Way Out
II. 10 Steps to a Better Relationship with Your Teenand a Better Future for Your Teen
7. Getting Ready
8. Step 1: Making Positive One-on-One Time a Habit
9. Step 2: A New Way to Manage Behavior
10. Step 3: Contracts and Point Systems: How Teens Can Earn Privileges
11. Step 4: Making the Punishment Really Fit the Crime
12. Step 5: Tackling Additional Issues with Rewards and Penalties
13. Step 6: Addressing Defiant Behavior in School and Conflicts over Homework
14. Step 7: Using Problem-Solving Skills
15. Step 8: Learning and Practicing Communication Skills
16. Step 9: Dealing with Unreasonable Beliefs and Expectations
17. Step 10: Keeping It Together
Appendix A: Sample Problem-Solving Worksheets
Appendix B: How to Find a Therapist