The recorded legacy of Elvis Presley continues to be discovered by new generations that never saw him or heard him perform live. It's hard to appreciate that he started so much of what we take for granted now in popular music. Until 1956, the teenagers of suburban America, and the rest of the world, had to endure ditties by Rosemary Clooney and Perry Como but everything was about to be tossed upside down.
On January 28 on a cold night in New York, Elvis took America by storm as he appeared on CBS-TV's Stage Show hosted by Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey. On February 4 for his second appearance he sang a song that literally changed the world of popular music "Heartbreak Hotel". Its unique sound and style literally blew everything before it away while at the same time inducing the blueprint for everything that was to come; by April, it would be #1 on Billboard. This incredible step-change in musical history resonated around the world and while liberating millions of young adolescent teenagers it also inspired many successful artists of today to pick a guitar or sing - everyone wanted to be like Elvis.
The pure spontaneity of these seminal recordings shows through even today; "Heartbreak Hotel", Don't Be Cruel", "Hound Dog", "Blue Suede Shoes" and "My Baby Left Me" are some of the greatest rock 'n' roll records ever made. Elvis' unprecedented level of achievement is still the benchmark by which artistic success is measured today and Young Man with the Big Beat is testament to the phenomenon and cultural icon that is Elvis Presley.
This deluxe edition celebrates 1956 in style with a retro 12x12 format and offers:
- 2 CD's of original digitally remastered RCA master recordings
- 1 CD of live performances including a complete unlreased concert from the Municipal Auditorium, Shreveport, Louisiana; Little Rock, Arkansas - March 18 and the New Frontier “Venus Room”, Las Vegas May 6
- 1 CD of insightful outtakes that offer a fly-on-the-wall experience of an Elvis recording session
- 1 CD of revealing and rare spoken word recordings including "The Truth About Me" plus outtakes, the complete "TV Guide Presents Elvis" and Colonel Tom Parker interviews; the complete Warwick Hotel interview; the extremely rare Elvis RCA Victrola advertisements.
- Incredible 80-Page color 12 x 12 book with 12-month day-by-day chronology, rare photos and memorabilia; including original RCA and Elvis Presley Enterprises artifacts and documents.
- Also included is a unique memorabilia envelope containing original size replicas of; RCA's first ever poster for Elvis Young Man with the Big Beat; Mosque Theater Poster, Venus Room Flyer for The New Frontier Hotel Appearance 1956; Original RCA Order Form for “Heartbreak Hotel”; unique Colonel Parker letter and Cotton Bowl Ticket Stub
- Plus 5 8x10 photos suitable for framing!
--From the Label