Understanding Parenting / Edition 1 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Brown & Benchmark
|Publisher:||Brown & Benchmark|
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
Table of Contents
Each chapter closes with "Summary," "Glossary," and "Thought Questions."
1. Parenting in Perspective.
Meeting Mark's Mom.
The Decision To Parent.
Family Life: Contentment and Chaos.
Why Have Children?
All Kinds of Reasons for Having Children.
Box1-1Why Do Men Become Fathers?
Four Goals of Parenting.
The History of Childhood.
Children In Today's World.
Spotlight: Poverty and Parenting.
Research on Parenting.
Why Study Parenting?
* Parenting Research
* Research Example 1
* Research Example 2.
Box 1-2Parenting Across Cultures.
Who Influences Whom In Families.
2. The Transition to Parenthood.
The Transition to Parenthood.
Mothering and Fathering
* Changes in Marital Satisfaction
* Marital Transitions and the Quality of Parenting.
Stages of Parenthood.
Assisted Reproduction Technologies: Where Do Babies Come From?
Effects on Children?
SpotlightShould Parents be Allowed to Select the Gender (or Height, Hair Color, or Eye Color) of Their Child?
Realistic Expectations About Parenting.
Realistic Expectations About Ourselves.
Physical Discomfort and Psychological Stress
* Expectant Fathers.
Other Factors That Influence Bonding.
Box 2-1Multiple Births.
Postpartum Adjustment and Depression.
Sudden InfantDeath Syndrome.
SpotlightLatecomersDelayed First Time Childbearing.
Foster Families: Whose Child Am I?
3. The Process of Parenting.
Do Parents Make A Difference?
Parental Psychological Functioning
* Parental Emotional State and Expression
* Parenting Interaction style.
Spotlight Small Moments Model of Development.
* Parental Discipline Style
* How Parents Think and Reason About Parenting.
* Parental Consistency and Flexibility
* Parental Self-Efficacy.
Factors Associated With Parental Competence.
Experiences in Family of Origin
* Parent Education
* Stress and Parenting.
Fathers and Daughters.
Fathers as Primary Caregivers.
Comparisons of Father's and Mother's Parenting Styles.
* Interest and Interaction
4. Marriage, Divorce, and New Family Configurations.
Parents With Partners.
Marital and Family Conflict.
SpotlightTwo Styles of Marriage: Male and Female.
Separation and Divorce.
Custody Arrangements: "Bests Interests of the Child"
* Joint Custody
* Stages of the Divorce Process
* Noncustodial Fathers
* Visitation: Parenting From A Distance
* Effects of Divorce on Children.
Interventions for Children of Divorce.
Children of Single Parents.
Single Custodial Fathers.
* Stepfamily Research
* Parenting Stepchildren.
Grandparents as Disciplinarians.
SpotlightChildren of Gay and Lesbian Parents.
5. Parental Authority, Child Compliance, and Parenting Styles.
How Do Parents Perceive Their Children?
Roots of Parent-Child Conflict.
Analysis of Misbehavior.
Parental Requests and Compliance.
Cultural Perspective: How Chinese and Japanese Parents Raise Their Children.
Their Well-Behaved Children.
Internalization of Parental Standards.
Children's Conceptions of Adult Authority.
Adolescents' Conceptions of Parental Authority.
No Simple Formula for Handling Discipline Encounters.
The Discipline Dance.
Dimensions of Discipline.
Baumrind's Model of Discipline Styles.
Parenting Style and Parenting Practices.
SpotlightA Team Approach to Discipline.
Power and Punishment in Parenting.
Hoffman's Model of Parental Power Assertion.
6. Changing Children's Behavior.
Setting Limits for Older Infants and Toddlers.
Standards of Acceptable Behavior
* Promoting Rule-Following Behavior
* Discipline Strategies.
* Toilet Training.
The Role of Operant Conditioning.
Carol and the Cookie
* Mark #2
* Strategic Use of Reinforcers
* Differential Reinforcement of Other Behavior (DRO)
* Reservations About The Use of Operant Conditioning
* Types of Reinforcers.
SpotlightAnatomy of a Tantrum.
Using Social Reinforcement
* Mark #3
* Mark #4
* Activity Reinforcers
* Tangible (Token) Reinforcers
* Using Reinforcers Judiciously.
Natural and Logical Consequences.
Eric's "Sick Day"
* Encouraging Self-Reliance
* Mark #5.
* Defining Punishment
* Using Punishment Effectively
* Side-Effects of Punishment
* Learning To Avoid Detection
* Should Parents Use Corporal Punishment?
SpotlightTime Out From Reinforcement.
7. Communication and Relationships In Families.
Parental Sensitivity and Responsiveness.
Parental Understanding, Acceptance, and Patience.
* Mark #8 Addendum.
Mark # 9
* Mark #10
* Sympathetic (Active, Reflective) Listening
* Mark #11
* Acknowledging Feelings
* Encouraging Emotional Expressiveness
* Nonverbal Communication
* Descriptive Praise
* Constructive Feedback
* Exploring Alternatives and Owning Problems
* I Messages
SpotlightParental Support and Expressions of Physical Affection.
Family Arguments, Family Meetings.
Children In Families.
* Birth Order
* Single Child Families
* Sibling Status Effects.
* Parents and Sibling Conflict
* Differential Treatment and Perceived Favoritism.
SpotlightNonshared Family Environments.
Parents and Friends.
8. Self-Concept, Self-Esteem, and Gender Identity.
SpotlightBiracial Children's Self-Concept.
Erikson's Point of View
* The Coopersmith Study
* Carl Rogers' Point of View.
SpotlightThe Development of Empathy and Altruism.
* Empathy and Altruism
* Promoting Empathy and Altruism in Children.
Gender-Related Differences and Parenting: "Is It A Boy or Is It A Girl?"
Parenting Sons and Daughters
* Gender Identity and Gender-Typing
* Learning Models
* Kohlberg's Cognitive-Developmental Model
* Bandura's Social-Cognitive Model
* Cross-gender Behavior
* Sexual Orientation.
SpotlightChildren's Household Work.
Promoting Cooperation in Household Work.
9. Adjustment, Stress, and Coping.
SpotlightEncouraging Honest Behavior.
The Development of Childhood Fears
* Parent Handling of Childhood Fears.
Shame, Embarrassment, and Pride.
Separation From Parents
* Birth of a Sibling
* Parental Divorce.
SpotlightSeparation Anxiety and Stranger Distress.
* Humor and Coping
* Resilient Children.
Understanding and Coping With Death.
Children's Limited Understanding of Death
* When A Parent Dies
* Helping Children Cope With Death
* When A Child Dies
* Adults Loss of a Parent.
SpotlightLetter To A Dying Father.
10. Parenting and Achievement.
Home and Family Factors in Achievement.
Verbal Interaction and Stimulation
* Parent-Child Relationship
* Parental Beliefs and Expectations about Achievement
* Parental Style of Discipline
* Summarizing Family Influences.
Too Much Too Soon?: Creating Superkids.
The Process of Schooling.
Mark #14: The Book Report.
Cultural PerspectiveThe Japanese Mother.
Reading and Writing.
Parental Involvement in Schooling.
Handling School-Related Problems.
Achievement and Underachievement in Adolescents.
The Case of Peter.
Encouraging Creative Expression.
Parents as Playmates
* Gender Differences in Play and Toy Preferences.
Effects on Children
* What's A Parent To Do?
11. Parenting Adolescents.
Adolescence as a Stage of Development.
Family Relationships and Conflict.
Parenting and Peer Group Influence.
Preparing for Independence.
Adolescent Sexual Activity, Pregnancy, and Child Care
* Spotlight A Mixed Message For Teenage Fathers
* Spotlight Adolescents, Parents, and Birth Control
* "Everyone Else Is Doing It": Guidelines for Parents Teaching Sexual Responsibility.
Adolescent Drug Use.
Adolescent Suicide: A Permanent Solution To A Temporary Problem.
Signs of Suicide: "I Might As Well Be Dead."
SpotlightEmpty Nests That Do Not Always Remain Empty.
Return to the Nest
* Residential Setting During the College Years.
12. Special Children, Special Parents.
Interview with Parents of a Down Syndrome Child.
Who Is Special?
SpotlightWhat It Means to Have Juliet.
Parenting Children with Special Needs.
* Family Life Cycle Model
* Family Stressors.
Parenting Children With Acute and Chronic Illness.
Parenting Down Syndrome Children.
Box 12-1The Americans with Disabilities Act.
SpotlightChildren's Reactions to Disabled Peers.
Parenting Autistic Children.
Parenting Children With Learning Disabilities.
Parenting Gifted Children.
SpotlightBlaming Mothers for Children's Problems.
Prevention of Psychological Problems.
13. Family Violence, Child Abuse, and Neglect.
Families With Marital Violence
* Parental Discipline Style.
SpotlightBullies and Their Victims.
The Victims of Bullies.
* Effects of Abuse on Children
* Fathers and Abuse
* Psychological Maltreatment (Emotional Abuse)
* Breaking the Cycle of Abuse.
Effects of Sexual Abuse
* Causes of Sexual Abuses
* Child Care and Sexual Abuse
* Assessment of Sexual Abuse
* Prevention of Sexual Abuse.
Family, Antisocial Behavior, and Delinquency.
Prevention and Treatment.
SpotlightDo Toy Guns Encourage Aggression?
14. Selected Topics.
Topic # 1Parent-Support and Training Programs.
Topic # 2Having It All?: Dual-Career Parenting.
* Children In Dual-Career Families
Topic # 3Day-Care Programs.
Day Care For Infants
Topic # 4Children in Self Care.
Effects on Children
* Alternatives to Self Care.
Appendix A: Family Systems Theory.
Appendix B: Freud's Psychodynamic Theory.
Appendix C: Erikson's Psychosocial Theory.