Flashes of insight—the "Eureka!" moments that produce new and useful ideas in a single thought—are behind some of the world's most creative and practical innovations. This book shows how to cultivate more and better flashes of insight by harnessing the science and practice of the "seventh sense."
Drawing from psychology, neuroscience, Asian philosophy, and military strategy, William Duggan illustrates the power of the seventh sense to help readers aspire to and achieve more in their personal and professional lives. His examples include Gandhi, Joan of Arc, Starbucks founder Howard Shultz, and executives and students he has taught in his classes. His book presents specific steps in the form of three practical tools to help prepare the mind, see and seize opportunity, and follow through on one's resolution. Based on Duggan's perennially popular Columbia Business School course, this book teaches the mental skills and discipline that power the seventh sense.
About the Author
Bill Duggan is a professor at Columbia Business School and the author of three recent books on innovation: Strategic Intuition: The Creative Spark in Human Achievement (2007); Creative Strategy: A Guide for Innovation (2012); and The Seventh Sense: How Flashes of Insight Change Your Life (2015).
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Ideas for Life
2. Find your Dream: An Italian Epiphany
3. Examples from History: Indian Men and English Women
4. Presence of Mind: City of Light
5. Flash of Insight: Magical Science
6. Resolution: The Art of Passion
7. Free Your Mind: From Stress to Strategy
8. Personal Strategy Map: In Search of Passion
9. Idea Networking: In Search of Opportunity
10. Conclusion: Your Seventh Sense
Appendix A: Seventh Sense Toolkit
Appendix B: Personal Strategy Maps