NOOK Book(eBook)

$10.99 $11.99 Save 8% Current price is $10.99, Original price is $11.99. You Save 8%.

Available on Compatible NOOK Devices and the free NOOK Apps.
WANT A NOOK?  Explore Now
LEND ME® See Details


It’s “great fun” when a baker’s dozen of Golden Age authors collaborate on a whodunit—including Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, and G. K. Chesterton (The Guardian).
Originally published in 1931, The Floating Admiral is a classic literary collaboration by members of the Detection Club, in which each chapter is written by a different mystery author, with G. K. Chesterton adding a prologue after the novel was completed. Each writer was tasked with building on what the previous writer created, without ignoring or avoiding whatever plot points had come before. Although Anthony Berkeley wrote the definitive conclusion to the mystery in his final chapter, the writers all provided their own individual solutions, each in a sealed envelope, which appear in the appendix. In the words of Dorothy L. Sayers in her introduction, the spirit of the project was that of a “detection game,” for the amusement of the authors—and their readers.
In the sleepy English seaside village of Whynmouth, an old sailor discovers a corpse floating serenely in a rowboat owned by the local vicar. The victim has been stabbed in the chest. It falls to Inspector Rudge to solve this most baffling mystery, in which not only the identity of the killer but the identity of the victim is called into question.
The Floating Admiral includes contributions by Canon Victor L. Whitechurch, G. D. H. and Margaret Cole, Henry Wade, Agatha Christie, John Rhode, Milward Kennedy, Dorothy L. Sayers, Ronald A. Knox, Freeman Wills Crofts, Edgar Jepson, Clemence Dane, and Anthony Berkeley.
“I was . . . hugely entertained by the virtuoso displays of mental gymnastics, which kept me guessing all the way.” —The Guardian

Product Details

ISBN-13: 9781504058292
Publisher: Road
Publication date: 07/09/2019
Series: The Detection Club
Sold by: Barnes & Noble
Format: NOOK Book
Pages: 312
Sales rank: 151,186
File size: 3 MB

About the Author

The Detection Club was formed in 1930 by a group of British mystery writers, including Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, G. K. Chesterton, Anthony Berkeley, Ronald Knox, Freeman Wills Crofts, Arthur Morrison, Hugh Walpole, John Rhode, Jessie Rickard, Baroness Orczy, R. Austin Freeman, G. D. H. Cole, Margaret Cole, E. C. Bentley, Henry Wade, and H. C. Bailey. John Dickson Carr, elected in 1936, was the first American member. A number of works were published under the club’s sponsorship; most of these were written by multiple members of the club, each contributing one or more chapters in turn.
Dorothy L. Sayers (1893–1957) was a British playwright, scholar, and acclaimed author of mysteries, best known for her books starring the gentleman sleuth Lord Peter Wimsey. While working as an advertising copywriter, Sayers began writing Whose Body? (1923), the first Wimsey mystery, followed by ten sequels and several short stories. Sayers set the Wimsey novels between the two World Wars, giving them a realistic tone by incorporating details from contemporary issues such as advertising, women’s education, and veterans’ health. Sayers also wrote theological essays and criticism during and after World War II, and in 1949 published the first volume of a translation of Dante’s Divine Comedy. Although she considered this translation to be her best work, it is for her elegantly constructed detective fiction that Sayers remains best remembered.

G. K. Chesterton (1874–1936) was a prolific English journalist and author best known for his mystery series featuring the priest-detective Father Brown and for the metaphysical thriller The Man Who Was Thursday. Baptized into the Church of England, Chesterton underwent a crisis of faith as a young man and became fascinated with the occult. He eventually converted to Roman Catholicism and published some of Christianity’s most influential apologetics, including Heretics and Orthodoxy

Read an Excerpt


By Canon Victor L. Whitechurch


Everyone in Lingham knew old Neddy Ware, though he was not a native of the village, having only resided there for the last ten years; which, in the eyes of the older inhabitants who had spent the whole of their lives in that quiet spot, constituted him still a "stranger."

Not that they really knew very much about him, for the old man was of a retiring disposition and had few cronies. What they did know was that he was a retired petty officer of the Royal Navy, subsisting on his pension, that he was whole-heartedly devoted to the Waltonian craft, spending most of his time fishing in the River Whyn, and that, though he was of a peaceful disposition generally, he had a vocabulary of awful and blood-curdling swear-words if anyone upset him by interfering with his sport.

If you, being a fellow-fisherman, took up your position on the bank of the River Whyn in a spot which Neddy Ware considered to be too near his, he would let drive at you with alarming emphasis; if boys — his pet aversion — annoyed him in any way by chattering around him, his language became totally unfit for juvenile ears. Once young Harry Ayres, the village champion where fisticuffs were concerned, had the temerity to throw a stone at the old man's float; he slunk back home afterwards, white in face and utterly cowed with the torrent of Neddy Ware's lurid remarks.

He lived in a small cottage standing quite by itself on the outskirts of the village, and he lived there alone. Mrs. Lambert, a widow, went to his cottage for a couple of hours every morning to tidy up and cook his midday meal. For the rest, Neddy Ware managed quite well.

He came out of his cottage one August morning as the church clock, some half a mile distant, was striking four. Those who knew his habits would have seen nothing unusual in his rising so early. The fisherman knows the value of those first morning hours; besides which, the little River Whyn, which was the scene of his favourite occupation, was tidal for some five or six miles from the sea. For those five or six miles it meandered, first through a low valley, flanked by the open downs on one side and by wooded heights on the other, and then made its way, for the last four miles, through a flat, low-lying country till it finally entered the Channel at Whynmouth. Everyone knows Whynmouth as a favourite South Coast holiday resort, possessing a small harbour at the mouth of its river.

Twice a day the tide flowed up the Whyn, more or less rapidly according to whether it was "spring" or "neap." And this fact had an important bearing on the times which were favourable for angling. On this particular morning Neddy Ware had planned to be on the river bank a little while after the incoming tide had begun to flow up the stream.

Behold him, then, as he came out of his cottage, halfway up the wooded slopes of "Lingham Hangar," crossed the high road, and made his way down to the level of the river. He was fairly on in years, but carried those years well, so much so that there was only just a sprinkling of grey in his coal-black hair. A sturdy-looking man, clean-shaven, but with a curious, old-fashioned twist of hair allowed to grow long on either side of his head just in front of his ears; brown, weatherbeaten, lined face, humorous mouth and keen, grey eyes. Dressed in an old navy blue serge suit, and wearing — as he invariably did — a black bowler hat. Carrying rods, landing net, and a capacious basket containing all kinds of the impedimenta of his craft.

He reached the grassy bank of the river, put his things on the ground, and very slowly filled a blackened clay pipe with twist tobacco — which he rubbed in his hands first — and proceeded to light it, glancing up and down the river as he did so.

Where he was standing the river took a curve, and he was on the outer side of this curve, on the right bank. Away to the left the stream bent itself between the heights on the one side and open meadows on the other. To the right, bending away from him, was the flat country, the river's edges bordered with tall-growing reeds. From this direction the tide was flowing towards him, swirling round the bend.

His first task was to haul in three or four eel lines he had thrown out the evening before, the ends being tied to the gnarled roots of a small tree growing on the bank. Two of the lines brought to land a couple of fair-sized eels, and, very dexterously, he detached the slippery, twisting fish from the hooks, washing the slime off afterwards. Then, slowly, he commenced putting one of his rods together, arranging his tackle, baiting with worms, and casting into the stream. For some little time he watched the float bobbing about in the swirl of the eddies, now and again striking when it suddenly disappeared beneath the surface, once landing a fish.

He glanced around. Suddenly his float lost interest. He was gazing downstream, as far as he could see around the bend. Slowly a small rowing-boat was coming upstream. But there was something peculiar about her. No oars were in evidence. She appeared to be drifting.

The old sailor was quick to recognise the little craft.

"Ah," he muttered, "that's the Vicar's boat."

Lingham Vicarage stood, with its adjacent church, quite apart from the village proper, about half a mile down the river. The grounds ran down to the water's edge, where there was a rough landing-stage. The Vicar, he knew, kept his boat at this stage, moored by her painter to a convenient post. There was a little creek running into the grounds, with a wooden boat-house, but, in the summer months, especially when the Vicar's two boys were home from school, the boat was generally kept on the river itself.

As it came nearer, Ware laid down his rod. He could see now that there was someone in the boat — not seated, but, apparently, lying in the bottom of her, astern.

The boat was only about fifty yards away now. The swirl of the tide was bringing her round the outer side of the bend in the river, but Neddy Ware, who knew every current, saw that she would pass beyond his reach. With the quick action of the sailor he did not waste an instant. Diving into his basket he produced one of the coiled up eel lines with its heavy, lead plummet. And then stood in readiness, uncoiling the line and throwing the slack on the grass.

On came the boat, about a dozen yards from the bank. Skilfully he threw the plummet into her bows, and then started walking along the bank up-stream, gently but steadily pulling on the line till, at length, he brought her close up to the bank and laid hold of the painter at her bows. The end of the painter was dragging in the water. As he pulled it out he glanced at it. It had been cut.

He made it fast to a tree-root. The boat swung round, stern up-stream, alongside the bank. And Ware got into her. The next moment he was on his knees, bending over the man who lay in the stern.

He lay there on his back, his knees slightly hunched up, his arms at his sides, quite still. A man of about sixty, with iron-grey hair, moustache and close-cropped, pointed beard, dark eyes open with fixed stare. He was clad in evening dress clothes and a brown overcoat, the latter open at the front and exposing a white shirt-front stained with blood.

Sitting on one of the seats, Ware made a swift examination of the boat.

A pair of oars lay in her, the metal rowlocks were unshipped. Apparently the dead man was hatless — no — there was a hat in the boat, lying in the bows; a round, black, clerical hat, such as Mr. Mount, the Vicar, usually wore.

Neddy Ware, having looked around, got out of the boat and glanced at his watch. Ten minutes to five. Then, leaving the little craft moored to the bank, he hurried off as fast as he could go, gained the high road, which was some hundred yards away from the river, and started in the direction of the village.

Police Constable Hempstead, just on the point of turning into bed after having been on duty all night, looked out of the window in answer to Ware's knock at the door.

"What is it, Mr. Ware?" he asked.

"Something pretty bad, I'm afraid."

Hempstead, wide awake now, slipped on his clothes again, came down and opened the door. Ware told him what had happened.

"I must get the Inspector out from Whynmouth — and a doctor," said the constable, "I'll phone to the station there."

He came out again in two or three minutes.

"All right," he said. "They'll run over in a car at once. Now you come along with me and show me that boat and what's in it. You haven't been messing about with any thing — moving the body and so on, I hope?"

"I shouldn't be such a fool," replied Ware.

"That's all right. You haven't seen anyone else?"

"No one."

The policeman went on asking questions from time to time as they hurried along. He was a smart man, this young constable, eager for his stripes, and wanted to make the most of the opportunity. As soon as they reached the river bank he took a glance at the boat and its contents, and exclaimed:

"Hullo! Don't you know who that is, Mr. Ware?"

"Never saw him before that I know of. Who is he?"

"Why, it's Admiral Penistone. He lives at Rundel Croft — that big house the other side of the river just opposite the Vicarage. Leastways, he's been in residence there about a month. He only bought it last June. A newcomer."

"Oh! Admiral Penistone, is he?" said Neddy Ware.

"That's the man, right enough. But, look here: are you sure this is the Vicarage boat?"


"Queer, eh? That seems to mean something happened this side of the river, for of course there's no bridge till you get to Fernton — three miles lower down. Ah, and the parson's hat, eh? Let's see; what time did you first see the boat coming along?"

"A little after half-past four, I should say."

Hempstead had his note-book out and was making pencilled jottings in it. Then he said:

"Look here, Mr. Ware, I want you, if you will, to go back to the road and stop Inspector Rudge when he comes along in his car."

"Very well," replied Ware; "nothing more I can do?"

"Not yet, at any rate."

Hempstead was an astute man. He waited until Neddy Ware was out of the way before he began a little examination on his own account. He knew very well that his superior officer would take the case fully in hand, but he was anxious to see what he could, without disturbing anything, in the meantime.

As he got into the boat, he noticed a folded newspaper, half sticking out of the dead man's overcoat pocket. He took it out, gingerly, looked at it, and replaced it.

"Ah," he murmured, "the Evening Gazette, last night's late London edition. He wouldn't get that here. The nearest place where it's sold is Whynmouth."

He would very much have liked to examine the contents of all the pockets of the dead man's clothes, but felt he had better not. So he got out of the boat, sat down on the bank, and waited.

After a bit the sound of a car running along the main road was heard, and in a minute or two, four men came across the meadow; Neddy Ware, a police inspector in uniform, and two men in plain clothes, one of them a doctor, the other a detective-sergeant.

Inspector Rudge was a tall, thin man, with sallow, cleanshaven face. He came up to Hempstead.

"You haven't moved anything?" he asked curtly.

"No, sir."

Rudge turned to the doctor.

"I won't do anything, Doctor Grice, till you have made your examination."

Doctor Grice got into the boat and proceeded to examine the body. It was only a few minutes before he said:

"Stabbed to the heart, Inspector, with some narrow-bladed instrument — a thin knife or dagger. Death must have been instantaneous. There'll have to be a post-mortem, of course."

"How long has he been dead?"

"Some hours. He probably died before midnight."

"Nothing more?"

"Not at present, Inspector."

"Very well. I'll have a look now."

He turned the body over, shifting it slightly.

"No sign of blood under him," he said, "or anywhere else in the boat that I can see. Let's have a look in his pockets — ah, it wasn't robbery. Gold watch and chain — wallet full of notes — they were not after that. Evening paper here — last night's date. That must be noted. Now — we've got to be as quick as possible. Tell me, Hempstead, what do you know about him?"

"He's Admiral Penistone, sir. Retired. A new-comer hereabouts. Bought Rundel Croft, a big house on the other side of the river, a few months ago. Took up residence there lately. I believe he has a niece living with him. But it's not in my district, sir."

"I know."

The Inspector turned to Ware.

"You say the boat belongs to the Vicar here?"


"How long would it take for the tide to bring it up from his place?"

"Forty to forty-five minutes," replied Ware promptly, "with the tide as it is to-day."

"I see. Now, the question is how are we to move him? We might pull the boat back against the tide. Won't do, though. Those oars must be tested for fingerprints before they are handled. Let's see — Vicarage on the telephone, Hempstead?"

"Yes, sir."

"All right. I'll go there now. I want to see the Vicar. We'll phone to Whynmouth for an ambulance. Have to run him to Rundel Croft round by Fernton Bridge. You remain here, Hempstead, and if anyone comes along don't let 'em touch anything. I shall want you, Sergeant — we'll have to put you across the river from the Vicarage if we can get a boat there; I want you to mount guard over the Admiral's boat and boat-house. Perhaps you won't mind coming too, Mr. Ware. You may be useful. There! We'll get a move on. Come along, Doctor."

In a very short time the Inspector was driving the car down the short bit of road leading from the highway to the Vicarage. The front door of the latter faced the river, a lawn stretching down to the bank. Opposite, about a hundred yards from the bank, stood a large, red-brick, Tudor mansion, with a broad sweep of lawn in front and a boathouse.

The Inspector, the Vicar's hat in his hand, got out of the car and rang the bell; the others followed. It was a few minutes before the maid, who evidently had only just come down, opened the door and said her master was not up yet.

"Will you kindly tell him that Inspector Rudge wants to see him at once. Say I'm sorry to disturb him, but it's most important."

"I'll tell him, sir. Won't you come in?"

"Thank you, no. I'll wait here."

"Hullo, I say, are you a policeman?"

He turned. Two boys had come across the lawn, aged, respectively, about sixteen and fourteen, dressed in flannel trousers and shirts open at the neck, and carrying bathing towels. They were regarding him eagerly.

"Yes," he said, "I am."

"Good egg!" exclaimed the elder, "just what we want, isn't he, Alec? Look here; some blighter has taken our boat — cut the painter. Perhaps you've heard about it, though? Is that what you've come about?"

The Inspector smiled grimly.

"Yes — that's what I've come about, young gentlemen," he replied, dryly, "but you needn't worry about your boat. It's been found."

"Hooray!" exclaimed the other boy. "Got the beggar who took it?"

"Not yet," said Rudge, with another grim little smile, "that may not be so easy. Have you got another boat handy?" he asked.

"Only our old punt — she's in the boat-house."

"Well, do you two young gentlemen think you could manage to put my detective-sergeant here across the water in her? He wants to pay a call at Rundel Croft."

"Rather!" Peter Mount looked with boyish admiration at the sergeant. "Is there going to be a man-hunt? Cheerio! We'll help you. But you don't suspect old Admiral Penistone of sneaking our boat, do you? He crossed back in his own last night. He'd been dining here, you know."

"Oh, had he!" said the Inspector. "No, we don't suspect him. Now — will you do what I asked?"

"Come on," said Alec to Sergeant Appleton, "the tide's running pretty strong, but we'll put you across all right."

They went down to the boat-house with the sergeant.

"Good morning, Inspector. Good morning, Doctor Grice — ah — it's you, Ware, I see. What's the meaning of this early morning deputation?"

The Vicar had come out of the house; a man of about fifty, of medium height, sturdily built, with clear-cut features and hair a little grey. He asked the question of the Inspector, who replied:

"I'll explain directly, Mr. Mount. Is this your hat?"

The Vicar took it and looked at it.

"Yes; certainly it is."

"Then would you mind telling me if you remember when you had it last?"

"That is quite simple. To be absolutely accurate, at twenty minutes past ten last evening."

"And where?"

"You are very mysterious, Inspector. But I'll tell you. My neighbour who lives opposite was dining with us last evening, with his niece. They left just about ten. I went down to the river to see them off, and put my hat on. After the Admiral had crossed the stream in his boat with his niece I sat down in that little summer-house and smoked a pipe. I took off my hat and laid it on the seat beside me — and, absent-mindedly, I forgot to put it on again when I returned to the house. It was then that I set my watch by the clock in the hall — twenty minutes past ten. But will you tell me why you ask me this — and what you have all come about?"


Excerpted from "The Floating Admiral"
by .
Copyright © 1932 The Detection Club.
Excerpted by permission of Road Integrated Media.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.

Customer Reviews

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

See All Customer Reviews