auto-inserted 09-17-2014 15:56:46
Teaching Science for All Children / Edition 2 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
70.97 Out Of Stock
“The ‘What Research Says’ sections are an excellent feature…an enjoyable and practical way to become familiar with current research!” –Pamela Kramer, East Stroudsburg University
Comprehensive and engaging, the fifth edition of Teaching Science for All Children prepares elementary teachers to help students grasp the nature of science, construct understanding of and connections between science content area materials, apply scientific processes, and understand the interactions between science, technology, and society. The more than 60 featured lessons in the text employ the “Engage, Explore, Explain, Expand, Evaluate” Learning Cycle model and incorporate National Science Education Standards across all K-8 grade levels and science disciplines–earth, space, life, and physical. Authoritative coverage of science safety, new technology, national standards, and strategies for teaching diverse learners are the hallmarks of this well-respected text.
New to this edition:
- NSES and NETS icons in the margin indicate standards-related content.
- Revamped assessment chapter helps teachers see the connection between standardized tests, teacher assessment, and rubric development.
- Increased discussion of diversity and individual differences throughout the book prepares teachers to work with students in today’s changing classroom.
- Completely revamped technology chapter incorporates ISTE standards and guides teachers to select appropriate resources and media for theirlessons.
- Learning Cycle Feature Lessons in the methods chapters now integrate photos and student work samples to enhance understanding and applications of the lesson.
- New MyEducationLab feature box uses an Explore, Enrich and Expand framework for activities to engage readers with video and other media.
Also available in a compact version including only the methods chapters!
Teaching Science for All Children: Inquiry Methods for Constructing Understanding, Fourth Edition ISBN: 9780205593514
Integrated Multimedia Resources
MyEducationLab is a research-based learning tool that brings science teaching to life. Through authentic in-class video footage, interactive simulations, rich case studies, MyEducationLab prepares you for your teaching career by showing you what quality science instruction looks like, providing examples of authentic teacher and student work, and much more. MyEducationLab is easy to use. In your textbook look for the .
|Publisher:||Allyn & Bacon, Inc.|
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.76(w) x 9.46(h) x 1.21(d)|
Table of Contents
I. 4-E Methods for Teaching Science
1. What is the Nature of Science?
How Do Children Perceive Science?
What Changes Have Occurred in Elementary Science?
The Nature of Science
Three Essential Features of Science
The Aims of Standards and Research-Based Education
2. How do Children Learn Science?
What Role Does Brain Development and Processing Play in Learning?
Where Do Children's Ideas Come From and How Do They Influence Learning?
What Is the Dominant Perspective About How Children Learn Science?
What Techniques and Roles Support Constructivist Learning?
3. How Can You Improve Science Learning for Diverse Learners?
Science For All
Science for Exceptional Children
How Can Parents Help Meet Children's Special Needs?
4. How Do You Plan for the Inquiry-Based Classroom?
Using the National Science Education Standards and Promoting Inquiry.
Planning Constructive Inquiry Science Lessons
5. What Inquiry Methods Help Learners to Construct Understanding?
What is Scientific Literacy?
Science as Inquiry for Literacy
Methods that Use Inquiry to Promote Student Concept Formation
Techniques for Promoting Student Cooperation
Recommendations for Enhancing Student's Learning of Science
6. How Can You Use Questions to Foster Scientific Inquiry?
Questions on Questions
What Are the Different Types of Questions?
What Are the Keys to Effective Questioning?
How Can You ImproveYour Questioning?
Why Use Students' Questions
7. How Do You Develop and Use Authentic Assessment?
Evaluating Student Learning
Selecting the Tool for the Task.
8. How Does Technology Enrich Scientific Inquiry?
Why Use Educational Technology?
How Can Educational Technology Be Applied in the Context of Science Teaching?
What Is Integration?
9. How Do You Plan for and Integrate Science with Other Disciplines?
Approaches to Integration
Challenges to Integration
10. How Can You Design and Manage a Safe Inquiry-Based Science Classroom?
Recommendations for Safe Science Experiences
How Do You Plan for Safety?
What Are Your Legal Responsibilities?
Performing Safety Assessments
What Materials are Necessary for the Activities?
A Final Thought
11. What Materials and Resources Promote Inquiry-Based Science?
Selecting and Using Textbooks
Resources for Best Practices
II. 4-E Inquiry Lessons for Teaching Science
Life Science Lessons and Activities
Physical Science Lessons and Activities
Earth and Space Science Activities
Appendix: National Science Education Standards: Contents Standards for Grades K-4 and 5-8.