This truly unique, bestselling review and preparation resource offers the perfect combination of core content review, practice questions with comprehensive rationales, and detailed test-taking strategies and tips. Throughout the book, you’ll find Linda Silvestri’s hallmark Pyramid to Success learning features, which highlight key information, and more than 1,000 high-quality review questions that mirror the latest NCLEX-PN® test plan. The companion CD contains all of the questions from the book, plus over 2,600 additional practice questions in a flexible electronic format that allows you to customize your study experience and focus on those areas you need to review the most.
• Twelve pharmacology chapters, a medication and intravenous calculation chapter, and a pediatric medication administration chapter prepare you for the increase in pharmacology questions on the exam.
• 3,700 practice questions in the text and companion CD provide ample testing practice in both print and electronic format.
• Covers all types of alternate item format questions, including prioritizing, decision-making, and critical thinking to help you prepare for this crucial component of the exam.
• UNIQUE! The companion CD offers 3,700 practice questions that you can answer in both a study mode and an exam mode, as well as the option to answer only alternate item format questions or focus on questions in a specific area of nursing content, client needs, nursing process, or cognitive level.
• UNIQUE! Linda Silvestri’s hallmark test-taking strategies for each question offer important clues for analyzing and uncovering the correct answer option.
• UNIQUE! Page references to Mosby or Saunders textbooks provide specific resources for further study and self-remediation.
• Each question is categorized by cognitive level, client needs area, integrated process, and clinical content area to allow you to focus on your area of weakness.
• Pyramid Terms at the beginning of each chapter give you a quick preview of key content.
• Pyramid Points throughout the content outlines highlight content that typically appears on the exam.
• Pyramid to Success sections at the beginning of each chapter or major unit of the book provide an overview of the chapter, guidance and direction regarding the focus of review in each content area, and its relative importance to the most recent NCLEX-PN® text plan.
• A comprehensive exam in the text features 85 questions related to all content areas and parallels the percentages identified in the NCLEX-PN® test plan.
• Completely updated content reflects the April 2008 NCLEX-PN® test plan, so you can be sure you’re using the most current information to prepare for the exam.
• A user-friendly, 2-color design helps you focus your studying on the most important information.
• Additional illustrations visually demonstrate key concepts to help improve your retention and recall for the exam.
• Audio questions on heart and lung sounds familiarize you with this anticipated new type of alternate item format question.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Product dimensions:||8.50(w) x 10.80(h) x 1.30(d)|
Table of Contents
UNIT 1 NCLEX-PN PREPARATION
1. The NCLEX-PN Examination
2. Preparation for the NCLEX Exam:
Transitional Issues for the Foreign Educated Nurse
3. Pathways to Success
4. The NCLEX-PN Examination: From a Student’s Perspective
5. Test Taking Strategies
UNIT 2 ISSUES IN NURSING
6. Cultural Diversity
7. Ethical and Legal Issues
8. Delegating, Managing, and Prioritizing Care
UNIT 3 NURSING SCIENCES
9. Fluids and Electrolytes
10. Acid Base Balance
11. Laboratory Values
12. Nutritional Components of Care
13. Intravenous Therapy and Blood Administration
UNIT 4 FUNDAMENTAL SKILLS
14. Hygiene and Safety
15. Medication and Intravenous Administration
16. Basic Life Support
17. Perioperative Nursing Care
18. Positioning Clients
19. Care of a Client with a Tube
UNIT 5 MATERNITY NURSING
20. Female Reproductive System
21. Obstetrical Assessment
22. Prenatal Period and Risk Conditions
23. Labor and Delivery and Associated Complications
24. The Postpartum Period and Associated Complications
25. Care of the Newborn
26. Maternity and Newborn Medications
UNIT 6 GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT ACROSS THE LIFE SPAN
27. Theories of Growth and Development
28. Developmental Stages
29. Care of the Older Client
UNIT 7 PEDIATRIC NURSING
30. Neurological, Cognitive, and Psychosocial Disorders
31. Eye, Ear, Throat, and Respiratory Disorders
32. Cardiovascular Disorders
33. Metabolic, Endocrine, and Gastrointestinal Disorders
34. Renal and Urinary Disorders
35. Integumentary Disorders
36. Musculoskeletal Disorders
37. Hematological and Oncological Disorders
38. Communicable Diseases and Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
39. Pediatric Medication Administration
UNIT 8 THE ADULT CLIENT WITH AN INTEGUMENTARY DISORDER
40. Integumentary System
41. Integumentary Medications
UNIT 9 THE ADULT CLIENT WITH AN ONCOLOGICAL DISORDER
42. Oncological Disorders
43. Antineoplastic Medications
UNIT 10 THE ADULT CLIENT WITH AN ENDOCRINE DISORDER
44. Endocrine System
45. Endocrine Medications
UNIT 11 THE ADULT CLIENT WITH A GASTROINTESTINAL DISORDER
46. Gastrointestinal System
47. Gastrointestinal Medications
UNIT 12 THE ADULT CLIENT WITH A RESPIRATORY DISORDER
48. Respiratory System
49. Respiratory Medications
UNIT 13 THE ADULT CLIENT WITH A CARDIOVASCULAR DISORDER
50. Cardiovascular System
51. Cardiovascular Medications
UNIT 14 THE ADULT CLIENT WITH A RENAL DISORDER
52. Renal System
53. Renal Medications
UNIT 15 THE ADULT CLIENT WITH AN EYE or EAR DISORDER
54. The Eye and The Ear
55. Ophthalmic and Otic Medications
UNIT 16 THE ADULT CLIENT WITH A NEUROLOGICAL DISORDER
56. Neurological System
57. Neurological Medications
UNIT 17 THE ADULT CLIENT WITH A MUSCULOSKELETAL DISORDER
58. Musculoskeletal System
59. Musculoskeletal Medications
UNIT 18 THE ADULT CLIENT WITH AN IMMUNE DISORDER
60. Immune Disorders
61. Immunological Medications
UNIT 19 THE ADULT CLIENT WITH A MENTAL HEALTH DISORDER
62. Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
63. Mental Health Disorders
65. Crisis Theory and Interventions
66. Psychiatric Medications
UNIT 20 COMPREHENSIVE TEST