|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||3 MB|
About the Author
Carolyn Vagts is an award-winning quilt designer, the editor of Quilter's World, and the owner of a successful quilt shop. She is the author of Chain Links and Twist & Turn Four Patch. She lives in Lake Orion, Michigan.
Read an Excerpt
Quilting with Art Panels 1: Jody's Ladies
By Carolyn S. Vagts
Annie'sCopyright © 2015 Annie's
All rights reserved.
Sisters Hope & Charity
Wall Hanging Size: 15½" x 17½" finished
Read all instructions before beginning this project.
Stitch right sides together using a ¼" seam allowance unless otherwise specified. Refer to your favorite quilting guide for specific techniques.
Materials and cutting lists assume 40" of usable fabric width.
Scraps of assorted pink batiks
1 Sisters Hope & Charity panel
½ yard black solid
Batting to size
Backing to size
Basic sewing tools and supplies
From assorted pink batiks:
Cut 18 (1½" x 4") C rectangles.
Cut 1 (2") B square.
From black solid:
Cut 5 (1½" x 11½") D strips, 2 each 2½" x 13½" E strips, 2½" x 15½" F strips and 2¼" by fabric width binding strips.
1. Trim panel to 5¾" x 11½" A rectangle centering figures.
2. Referring to Figure 1a, stitch C to B. Press C away from B referring to Figure 1b.
3. Stitch another C strip to the adjoining side of the B-C unit referring to Figure 2a. Press second C strip away from the unit (Figure 2b).
4. Continue to stitch C strips onto the B-C unit in the same manner referring to Figures 3a and 3b alternating sides and pressing between each piece until all pieces have been added.
5. Trim B-C braid unit to 3½" x 11½" rectangle centered on braid points marked with blue line in Figure 4.
6. Stitch three D strips, braid unit and A together as shown in Figure 5. Press seams toward D.
7. Stitch D strips to top and bottom of quilt center unit (Figure 6).
8. To complete quilt, stitch E borders to opposite sides and F borders to top and bottom of quilt center referring to Assembly Diagram. Press seams toward E and F.
9. Sandwich the batting between the pieced top and a prepared backing piece; baste layers together. Quilt as desired.
10. When quilting is complete, remove basting and trim batting and backing fabric even with raw edges of the pieced top.
11. Prepare binding and stitch to quilt front edges, matching raw edges, mitering corners and overlapping ends.
12. Refer to Making a Hanging Sleeve and Alternative Hanging Solutions on pages 10 and 11 before completing binding.
13. Fold binding to back side and hand-stitch in place to finish.
Excerpted from Quilting with Art Panels 1: Jody's Ladies by Carolyn S. Vagts. Copyright © 2015 Annie's. Excerpted by permission of Annie's.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.
Table of Contents
ContentsPattern Services and Revisions,
Sisters Hope & Charity,
Handmade From the Heart,
Sisterhood of Quilters,