Weingarten treats the samples used on Nation Of Millions as molecules of a greater whole, slivers of music that retain their own secret histories and folk traditions. Can the essence of a hip-hop record be found in the motives, emotions and energies of the artists it samples? Is it likely that something an artist intended 20 years ago would re-emerge anew? This is a compelling and thoroughly researched investigation that tells the story of one of hip-hop's landmark albums.
About the Author
Table of Contents
1. "Yes....The Rhythm, The Rebel"
2. "This Is A Sampling Sport"
3. "Back...Caught You Looking For The Same Thing"
4. "Beat Is The Father Of Your Rock'n'Roll"
5. "Consider Yourselves Warned"
6. "All In, We're Gonna Win"
7. "Def Jam Tells You Who I Am"
8. "Here We Go Again"