A traumatic event can turn your world upside down, but there is a path out of PTSD. This reassuring guide presents the latest on effective treatments that help you combat fear, stop stress in its tracks, and bring joy back into your life. You'll learn how to:
- Identify PTSD symptoms and get a diagnosis
- Understand PTSD and the nature of trauma
- Develop a PTSD treatment plan
- Choose the ideal therapist for you
- Decide whether cognitive behavior therapy is right for you
- Weight the pros and cons of PTSD medications
- Cope with flashbacks, nightmares, and disruptive thoughts
- Maximize your healing
- Manage your recovery, both during and after treatment
- Help a partner, child or other loved one triumph over PTSD
- Know when you're getting better
- Get your life back on track
Whether you're a trauma survivor with PTSD or the caregiver of a PTSD sufferer, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder For Dummies, gives you the tools you need to win the battle against this disabling condition.
Related collections and offers
About the Author
Table of ContentsIntroduction.
Part I: The Basics of PTSD.
Chapter 1. The Invisible Epidemic of PTSD.
Chapter 2. Aftershock: When the Past Won't Stay in the Past.
Chapter 3. Spotting the Clues: Signs and Symptoms of PTSD.
Chapter 4. First Response: Preventive Treatments for PTSD.
Part II: Getting a Diagnosis and Drafting a Plan.
Chapter 5. Getting Answers: Finding Out Whether You Have PTSD.
Chapter 6. Building Your Treatment Team.
Chapter 7. Setting the Stage for Recovery: The First Steps Toward Healing.
Part III: Choosing the Right Treatment Approach.
Chapter 8. Putting PTSD in Its Place with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
Chapter 9. The Role of Medication in Treating PTSD.
Chapter 10. Additional Paths to Wellness: Drawing on the Power of Mind and Body.
Part IV: Healing and Rebuilding during and after Treatment.
Chapter 11. The Journey Back: What to Expect.
Chapter 12. Helping Yourself Heal Your Body, Mind , and Soul.
Chapter 13. Caring for Your Loved Ones While They Care for You.
Chapter 14. Getting Your Life Back on Track.
Part V: Stepping In: When You're Not the One Who's Suffering.
Chapter 15. Getting Help for a Child with PTSD.
Chapter 16. Supporting a Loved One with PTSD.
Part VI: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 17. The Ten Most Common Myths about PTSD.
Chapter 18. Ten Ways to Recognize that You're Getting Better.
Appendix: PTSD Resources.