This therapist guide is designed to give mental health professionals the necessary tools to assess and treat a broad range of mood disorders, particularly depression. Based on the principles of cognitive-behavioral therapy, the Taming the BEAST (TTB) program helps patients develop a set of coping strategies and skills to proactively manage their depressed mood.
Using the acronym BEAST, treatment modules address biology, emotions, activity, situations, and thoughts. Each module comes complete with step-by-step instructions for delivering treatment including outlines and lists of materials needed. In-session exercises as well as home assignments help motivate the patient and allow for the monitoring of progress.
Written by experts in the field, this guide comes complete with chapters on assessment, socialization, and termination. The TTB program offers both therapist and patient a roadmap for overcoming the depression 'beast.'
TreatmentsThatWorkTM represents the gold standard of behavioral healthcare interventions!
· All programs have been rigorously tested in clinical trials and are backed by years of research
· A prestigious scientific advisory board, led by series Editor-In-Chief David H. Barlow, reviews and evaluates each intervention to ensure that it meets the highest standard of evidence so you can be confident that you are using the most effective treatment available to date
· Our books are reliable and effective and make it easy for you to provide your clients with the best care available
· Our corresponding workbooks contain psychoeducational information, forms and worksheets, and homework assignments to keep clients engaged and motivated
· A companion website (www.oup.com/us/ttw) offers downloadable clinical tools and helpful resources
· Continuing Education (CE) Credits are now available on select titles in collaboration with PsychoEducational Resources, Inc. (PER)
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introductory Information for Therapists
Chapter 2: Assessment of Depression
Chapter 3: Socialization
Chapter 4: Biology
Chapter 5: Emotions
Chapter 6: Activity
Chapter 7: Life Situations and Vulnerability
Chapter 8: Thoughts
Chapter 9: Relapse Prevention
Chapter 10: Ending Treatment
Appendix of Forms
Antidepressant Medications Chart
About the Authors