Prepping for the MCAT is a true challenge. Kaplan can be your partner along the way – offering guidance on where to focus your efforts and how to organize your review. This book has been updated to match the AAMC's guidelines precisely—no more worrying if your MCAT review is comprehensive!
The Most Practice
- More than 350 questions in the book and access to even more online – more practice than any other MCAT CARS book on the market.
- Comprehensive CARS subject review is written by top-rated, award-winning Kaplan instructors.
- Expanded content review for research design and the execution of research, and data-based and statistical analysis.
- All material is vetted by editors with advanced science degrees and by a medical doctor.
- Online resources, including a full-length practice test, help you practice in the same computer-based format you'll see on Test Day.
- We know the test: The Kaplan MCAT team has spent years studying every MCAT-related document available.
- Kaplan's expert psychometricians ensure our practice questions and study materials are true to the test.
About the Author
After helping millions of students, we know what works. Our guides deliver knowledge with clarity and simplicity while focusing on the specialized strategies that keep test-takers ahead of the clock and at the top of their game.
We offer preparation for more than 90 standardized tests – including entrance exams for secondary school, college, and graduate school, as well as professional licensing exams for attorneys, physicians, and nurses.
With a full array of self-paced and live online courses, as well as print books and mobile apps, you can use Kaplan to study on your own schedule and at your own speed. Kaplan's private tutors and admissions consultants supplement those offerings with one-on-one support.
Table of Contents
The Kaplan MCAT Review Team vi
About the MCAT vii
How This Book Was Created xviii
Using This Book xix
Chapter 1 About CARS 1
1.1 The CARS Section 4
1.2 Passages 4
1.3 Question Categories 5
Chapter 2 Analyzing Rhetoric 9
2.1 What Is Rhetoric? 12
2.2 Key Components of Rhetoric 12
2.3 Rhetorical Analysis 17
Chapter 3 Keywords 25
3.1 Reading Strategically with Keywords 28
3.2 Relation Keywords 30
3.3 Author Keywords 34
3.4 Logic Keywords 37
Chapter 4 Outlining the Passage 57
4.1 The Kaplan Method for CARS Passages 60
4.2 Reverse-Engineering the Author's Outline 64
4.3 Practicing the Strategy 68
Chapter 5 Dissecting Arguments 95
5.1 Domains of Discourse 98
5.2 Concepts: The Basic Elements of Logic 100
5.3 Claims: The Bearers of Truth Value 102
5.4 Arguments: Conclusions and Evidence 103
Chapter 6 Formal Logic 111
6.1 The Logic of Conditionals 114
6.2 Applications of Conditionals 117
6.3 Analogical Reasoning 120
Chapter 7 Understanding Passages 125
7.1 Varieties of Passages 128
7.2 Support in Passages 133
7.3 Anticipating Questions 136
Chapter 8 Question and Answer Strategy 161
8.1 Kaplan Method for CARS Questions 164
8.2 Wrong Answer Pathologies 168
8.3 Signs of a Healthy Answer 170
Chapter 9 Question Types I: Foundations of Comprehension Questions 193
9.1 Main Idea Questions 196
9.2 Detail Questions 198
9.3 Function Questions 203
9.4 Definition-in-Context Questions 205
Chapter 10 Question Types II: Reasoning Within the text: Questions 227
10.1 Inference Questions 230
10.2 Strengthen-Weaken (Within the Passage) Questions 236
10.3 Other Reasoning Within the Text Questions 242
Chapter 11 Question Types III: Reasoning Beyond the Text Questions 263
11.1 Apply Questions 266
11.2 Strengthen-Weaken (Beyond the Passage) Questions 273
11.3 Other Reasoning Beyond the Text Questions 277
Chapter 12 Effective Review of CARS 301
12.1 Learning from Your Mistakes 304
12.2 Thinking Like the Testmaker: Post-Phrasing 306
12.3 Improving Your Timing 308
12.4 Building Endurance 310
12.5 Enhancing Your Vocabulary 310