Do you have rushes of fear accompanied by a pounding heart, trembling, dizziness, and feelings of unreality that make you think you're sick, dying, or losing your mind? Do these feelings interfere with your normal daily routine, or prevent you from doing things you would normally do? If you are prone to panic attacks and constantly worry about when the next attack may come, you may suffer from panic disorder and/or agoraphobia. Though panic disorder seems irrational and uncontrollable, it has been proven that a treatment like the one outlined in this book can help you take control of your life.
Now in its 4th edition, Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic, Workbook has been updated to include strategies and techniques for dealing with both panic disorder and agoraphobia. The program outlined is based on the principles of cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and is organized by skill, with each chapter building on the one before it. You will learn the importance of record-keeping and monitoring your progress, as well as breathing techniques and thinking skills. The main focus of treatment involves learning how to face agoraphobic situations and the scary physical symptoms of panic from an entirely new perspective. Self-assessment quizzes, homework exercises, and interactive forms allow you to become an active participant in your treatment. Over time, you will learn to manage your panic attacks, anxiety about panic, and avoidance of panic and agoraphobic situations.
This workbook is a one-of-a-kind resource that has been recommended for use by public health services around the world. It allows you to work alongside your therapist to personalize your treatment strategy and learn recovery skills that are useful for a lifetime.
TreatmentsThatWorkTM represents the gold standard of behavioral healthcare interventions!
· All programs have been rigorously tested in clinical trials and are backed by years of research
· A prestigious scientific advisory board, led by series Editor-In-Chief David H. Barlow, reviews and evaluates each intervention to ensure that it meets the highest standard of evidence so you can be confident that you are using the most effective treatment available to date
· Our books are reliable and effective and make it easy for you to provide your clients with the best care available
· Our corresponding workbooks contain psychoeducational information, forms and worksheets, and homework assignments to keep clients engaged and motivated
· A companion website (www.oup.com/us/ttw) offers downloadable clinical tools and helpful resources
· Continuing Education (CE) Credits are now available on select titles in collaboration with PsychoEducational Resources, Inc. (PER)
About the Author
Michelle G. Craske is Professor of Clinical Psychology and Director of the Anxiety Disorders Behavioral Research Program at UCLA.
David H. Barlow is Professor of Psychology and Director of the Center for Anxiety Disorders at Boston University in Boston, MA.
Table of Contents
1. The Nature of Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia
2. Learning to Record Panic and Anxiety
3. Negative Cycles of Panic and Agoraphobia
4. Panic Attacks are Not Harmful
5. Establishing your Hierarchy of Agoraphobia Situations
6. Breathing Skills
7. Thinking Skills
8. Facing Agoraphobic Situations
9. Involving Others
10. Facing Physical Symptoms
12. Accomplishments, Maintenance, and Relapse Prevention
About the Authors.
Appendix Answers to Self-Assessment Quizzes.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic based on 0 ratings. 8 reviews.
I developed a panic disorder in the last year. I sought help through a therapist provided by my HMO, who used this book. It works. If you work through the book and follow the instructions you will find relief from your panic attacks. I do highly recommend you find a therapist to help you through your panic and anxiety, that component of a program shouldn't be ignored. However this book could be used as an aide to another program and if you can't get into a program and have no other option but to self treat this book is incredible.