auto-inserted 09-17-2014 15:56:46
Learning Disabilities, Eighth Edition: Theories, Diagnosis, and Teaching Strategies / Edition 8 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Houghton Mifflin Company College Division
92.7 Out Of Stock
The success of this text, which focuses on identifying and helping students with learning disabilities, is based on three key elements. First, Learning Disabilities provides a comprehensive overview of this complex subject by covering theoretical approaches within the field, procedures for assessing and evaluating students, skills in the art of clinical teaching, teaching methods and strategies, and requirements of special education laws. Second, this text offers balanced coverage of both theories and teaching strategies with cases. Third, Learning Disabilities contains up-to-the-minute research and information that reflects the rapid changes and advances in this field.
- New! All of the text's material on ADD/ADHD is combined into one chapter on Attention Deficit Disorder, which addresses the needs of the increasing number of students diagnosed with this disorder.
- New! Expanded coverage of standards includes a two-page feature on high-stakes testing.
- New! The findings of the 2000 National Reading Panel are incorporated into the text. These findings describe new evidence about the need for explicit and structured instruction for teaching decoding skills and phonics to students with learning disabilities.
- New! Web links within the text alert students to additional resources on a text-specific web site.
- New! Material on diversity in Chapters 2, 4, 6, and 11 discusses the changing demographics of the children in American classrooms, and addresses the growing number of linguistically and culturally diverse students who also have learning disabilities.
- Updated and expanded coverage of inclusion in Chapters 3, 4, 5,and 9 contains current information about responsible inclusion practices and describes how special and general education teachers can collaborate to make inclusion work.
- Updated research, citations, and terminology relate to current topics, including the latest DOE Annual Report to Congress, phonemic awareness and early literacy, adolescent/adult transition issues, collaborative teaching, IEPs, brain development, emotional intelligence, statistics on students with LD, and NCTM standards.
- LD Stories boxes contain short vignettes that explore real-world scenarios involving the learning disabled, while LD in Practice boxes feature examples of practical instructional methods.
- A Case Study in Chapters 3, 4, and 5 offers a detailed account of one student's experience from pre-referral to placement.