Lansing's history as the capital of Michigan began with a legislative mandate in the 1835 State Constitution, which required that the seat of government be moved from Detroit in 1847. The result-the emergence of a new capital city on the banks of the majestic Grand River-allowed Lansing to cultivate a world-class community based in government, education, the automotive industry, and entrepreneurial achievements. This book features more than 200 historic photographs that document the dynamic capital city during its pivotal first century, from the pioneer era to the inception of the Olds Motor Vehicle Company and through the eve of World War II.
Related collections and offers
About the Author
James MacLean is Head Reference Librarian at Capital Area District Library and has master's degrees in history and library science from Wayne State University. Craig Whitford is President of the Historical Society of Greater Lansing, and is Chairman of the Ingham County Historical Commission.
Craig Whitford is President of the Historical Society of Greater Lansing, and is Chairman of the Ingham County Historical Commission.