Long known as the “City of Elms and Roses,” LaGrange, founded in 1828, nestles among the rolling hills of western Georgia. The name pays tribute to the Marquis de Lafayette, a hero of the American Revolution who passed through this area in 1825, and memorializes his estate in France, the Chateau de la Grange-Bléneau. In its almost 200-year history, the town has grown from an educational center to a textile hub and is now a home to diverse industry. Many prominent people have called LaGrange homefrom Benjamin Harvey Hill and Horace King in the 19th century to Lamar Dodd and the Callaway family in the 20th century.
About the Author
Authors Glenda Ralston Major, Forrest Clark Johnson III, and Kaye Lanning Minchew bring to life the stories of many people, places, and events related to LaGrange and its history. Using photographs, maps, and illustrations, they trace the history from Indians to modern times. The authors appreciate the resources at the Georgia Department of Archives and the many individuals and groups who have donated materials to the Troup County Archives since opening in 1983. This is the most recent volume about LaGrange and west Georgia history these authors have written.