This volume connects the evolving modern financial systems of China, Japan, and Korea to the development and growth of their economies through the first decade of the twenty-first century. It also identifies the commonalities among all three systems while accounting for their social, political, and institutional differences.
Essays consider the reforms of the Chinese economy since 1978, the underwhelming performance of the Japanese economy since about 1990, and the growth of the Korean economy over the past three decades. These economies engaged in rapid catch-up growth processes and share similar economic structures. Yet while domestic forces have driven each country's financial trajectory, international short-term financial flows have presented opportunities and challenges for them all. The nature and role of the financial system in generating real economic growth, though nuanced and complex, is integral to these countries. The result is a fascinating spectrum of experiences with powerful takeaways.
About the Author
Yung Chul Park is distinguished professor in the Division of International Studies at Korea University. He previously served as the chief economic adviser to the president of Korea (1987–1988), as president of the Korea Development Institute (1986–1987), and as president of the Korea Institute of Finance (1992–1998).
Hugh Patrick is director of the Center on Japanese Economy and Business at Columbia Business School, codirector of Columbia University's APEC Study Center, and its Robert D. Calkins Professor of International Business Emeritus.
Table of Contents
1. An Introductory Overview, by Hugh Patrick
2. Financial Reform in China: Progress and Challenges, by Yiping Huang, Xun Wang, Bijun Wang, and Nian Lin
3. Japan: Ongoing Financial Deregulation, Structural Change, and Performance, 1990–2010, by Edward J Lincoln
4. Financial Development and Liberalization in Korea: 1980–2011, by Yung Chul Park
5. Banking, Capital Flows, and Financial Cycles: Common Threads in the 2007–09 Crises, by Young-Hwa Seok and Hyun Song Shin