This completely revised edition of Global Think Tanks: Policy Networks and Governance provides a clear description of, and context for, the global proliferation of think tanks. It explores the origins, development and diversity of think tanks and policy networks, discusses past and current issues facing transnational think tanks and considers the possible future challenges and developments. The updated content reflects recent trends such as globalization, digitalization, diversity, populism, and disinformation; and it also includes a new chapter on the impact of emerging technologies on global think tanks and governance.
- identifies, maps, and analyzes these phenomena of proliferation, expansion, and networking
- provides a primer and a roadmap for global public policy practitioners, participants, and the interested public
- illustrates the global growth of think tanks that the world has experienced over the past eight years
- analyzes the impact and emerging potential of new technologies and increasing diversity
- considers how global think tanks and policy networks can continue to improve their impact and overall reach
This volume will be of great interest to all students of international relations and international organizations, alongside policy professionals working at think tanks around the world.
About the Author
James G. McGann, Ph.D., is a senior lecturer at the Lauder Institute of the Wharton School and the School of Arts and Sciences at the University of Pennsylvania and the director of the Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTCSP) at the University of Pennsylvania.
Laura C. Whelan is a Benjamin Franklin Scholar at the University of Pennsylvania and a research assistant and summit coordinator intern at the Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTCSP).
Table of Contents
1 National, regional, and global think tanks: catalyst for ideas and action
2 Emergence of think tanks in the policy world: the United States and beyond
3 New institutional structures: global think tanks and policy networks
4 Impact of emerging technologies on global think tanks and global governance
5 Transnational think tanks and policy networks in action
6 Challenges and opportunities for global think tanks and policy networks