- QSEN boxes illustrate how quality and safety goals, competencies, objectives, knowledge, skills, and attitudes can be applied in nursing practice in the community.
- Healthy People 2020 objectives in every chapter address the health priorities and emerging health issues expected in the next decade.
- Genomics coverage provides a history of genetics and genomics and how they impact public/community health nursing care.
- Focus on health promotion throughout the text emphasizes initiatives, strategies, and interventions that promote the health of the community.
- Clinical Application scenarios present practice situations with questions and answers to help you apply chapter concepts to practice in the community.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes highlight current research findings, their application to practice, and how community/public health nurses can apply the study results.
- Levels of Prevention boxes identify specific nursing interventions at the primary, secondary, and tertiary levels, to reinforce the concept of prevention as it pertains to community and public health care.
- Feature box on Linking Content to Practice highlights how chapter content is applied in the role of public/community health nursing.
- NEW! Coverage of health care reform includes discussions of the impact of The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 (ACA) on public health nursing and the potential implications of its repeal.
- NEW! Check Your Practice boxes feature scenarios and discussion questions to promote active learning.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||9.00(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.70(d)|
About the Author
Table of ContentsPart I: Perspectives in Health Care Delivery and Nursing 1. Community and Prevention Oriented Practice to Improve Population Health 2. The History of Public Health and Public and Community Health Nursing 3. The Changing U.S. Health and Public Health Care Systems
Part II: Influences on Health Care Delivery and Nursing 4. Ethics in Public and Community Health Nursing Practice 5. Cultural Influences in Nursing in Community Health 6. Environmental Health 7. Government, the Law, and Policy Activism 8. Economic Influences
Part III: Conceptual Frameworks Applied to Nursing Practice in the Community 9. Epidemiological Applications 10. Evidence-Based Practice 11. Using Health Education and Groups in the Community
Part IV: Issues and Approaches in Health Care of Populations 12. Community Assessment and Evaluation 13. Case Management 14. Disaster Management 15. Surveillance and Outbreak Investigation 16. Program Management 17. Managing Quality and Safety
Part V: Issues and Approaches in Family and Individual Health Care 18. Family Development and Family Nursing Assessment 19. Family Health Risks 20. Health Risks Across the Life Span
Part VI: Vulnerability: Predisposing Factors 21. Vulnerability and Vulnerable Populations: An Overview 22. Rural Health and Migrant Health 23. Poverty, Homelessness, Teen Pregnancy, and Mental Illness 24. Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drug Problems in the Community 25. Violence and Human Abuse 26. Infectious Disease Prevention and Control 27. HIV Infection, Hepatitis, Tuberculosis, and Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Part VII: Nursing Practice in the Community: Roles and Functions 28. Nursing Practice at the Local, State, and National Levels in Public Health 29. The Faith Community Nurse 30. The Nurse in Home Health and Hospice 31. The Nurse in the Schools 32. The Nurse in Occupational Health
Appendixes Appendix A Guidelines for Practice Appendix B Assessment Tools Appendix C Essential Elements of Public Health Nursing Appendix D Hepatitis Information Appendix E Glossary