Established as one of many frontier Army posts in 1849 following the Mexican-American War, Fort Bliss, Texas, has endured as an Army installation when most other frontier posts have faded from memory. From a small collection of adobe buildings, it has seen growth, decline, two closures, and ultimately survival as the major Army maneuver post that it is today. The post, named for West Point math prodigy and soldier William Wallace Smith Bliss, has served many roles in America's conflicts and has seen the march of technology in war fighting. Its role today includes training for the Army's only armored division, known as 1st Armored Division; training for major Army air and missile defense forces; serving as a mobilization platform for Army soldiers and civilians to deploy to support America's missions overseas; and testing of major equipment to be adopted for military use.
About the Author
John A. Hamilton has served as the command historian, the inspector general chief of inspections, and the 1st Armored Division and Fort Bliss Museum director for 13 years. This volume contains images from the 1st Armored Division and Fort Bliss Museum and other sources to illustrate the colorful history one of the Army's largest maneuver training centers.
Table of Contents
1 Infantry and Adobe: The Frontier Posts 9
2 Brick and Infantry: The Post on La Noria Mesa 27
3 Leather and Revolution: Fort Bliss and the Mexican Revolution 41
4 Horse Cavalry: The Cavalry Post 63
5 Airspace and Rockets: Air Defenders and the Cold War 97
The 1st Armored Division and Fort Bliss Museum 127