In a thought-provoking and entertaining exploration of The Five Biggest Ideas in Science, authors Charles Wynn and Arthur Wiggins provide a panoramic view of the questions scientists seek to answer about the natural world:
* Do basic building blocks of matter exist, and if so, what do they look like?
* BIG IDEA #1: Physics' Model of the Atom
* What relationships, if any, exist among different kinds of atoms?
* BIG IDEA #2: Chemistry's Periodic Law
* Where did the atoms of the universe come from,and what is their destiny?
* BIG IDEA #3: Astronomy's Big Bang Theory
* How is the matter of the universe arranged in planet Earth?
* BIG IDEA #4: Geology's Plate Tectonics Model
* How did life on planet Earth originate and develop?
* BIG IDEA #5: Biology's Theory of Evolution
Get set for a lively and informative discussion, as you also learn how to evaluate potential applications of these and other scientific ideas.
|Publisher:||Turner Publishing Company|
|Edition description:||First Edition|
|Product dimensions:||6.03(w) x 9.06(h) x 0.56(d)|
|Age Range:||12 - 18 Years|
About the Author
ARTHUR W. WIGGINS, Professor of Physics at Oakland Community College in Michigan, are the authors of science textbooks and numerous journal articles. Each has been the recipient of "Best Teacher" awards.
SIDNEY HARRIS is "America's premier science cartoonist" (Isaac Asimov).
Table of ContentsThe Road to Discovery: The Method of Science.
BIG IDEA #1 Physics' Model of the Atom: Seeing the Unseeable.
BIG IDEA #2 Chemistry's Periodic Law: Sorting the Elements.
BIG IDEA #3 Astronomy's Big Bang Theory: Tracing the Elements' Roots.
BIG IDEA #4 Geology's Plate Tectonics Model: Down to Earth.
BIG IDEA #5 Biology's Theory of Evolution: Life Begins and Branches Out.
The Method of Science: Further Insights.
Benefit/Risk Analysis: Potential Applications of Scientific Knowledge.