It’s official, study after study in the field of positive psychology is telling us what the Bible has said for 2,000 years. The keys to deep happiness come down to 8 key qualities. The happiest people…
1. are grateful, teachable, and humble.
2. have processed their mistakes, wounds, pain, and losses.
3. have developed impulse control and use their emotions to fuel and enjoy life.
4. pursue their dreams and posi¬tive purpose with diligence.
5. are forgiving, non-judgmental, and gracious.
6. think positive, beneficial, constructive thoughts, and reject unethical, and selfish thoughts.
7. savor each day, harmonize with the people around them, and do not attack others.
8. set boundaries for themselves and others and sacrifice to protect those boundaries.
The problem with the above list is that we don’t believe the studies, and we don’t really want any of these qualities. People think that the key to happiness is money, power, popularity, and/or pleasure. But true long lasting happiness is from the inside out. God wants our best even though we may not want it for ourselves, so He enrolls us in life's classes to help us develop the missing ingredients for happiness. We can choose to either cooperate with Him or fight what He is trying to teach us.
This book shows us what God's life classes are and how to determine which one He has us enrolled in. Each class has quizzes, tests, and finals that we must pass. If you don't pass them, then you stay stuck in the same course until you get it. I know people who have been enrolled in anger management class for thirty years and still haven’t passed the final, therefore they still struggle with anger in their life. God knows that your ultimate joy and happiness will be in the development of the 8 qualities listed above, so He constantly gives you opportunities to work on these qualities. There is an amazing difference in the lives of people who begin cooperating with God on these qualities rather than fighting Him. Remember, the happiest people master the above qualities.
|File size:||881 KB|
About the Author
Dr. Gil Stieglitz is an author, speaker, catalyst, professor, leadership consultant, and President/Founder of Principles to Live By. He is currently Discipleship Groups Pastor of Bayside Church in Roseville, California, an adjunct professor at Western Seminary (Sacramento Campus), and a church consultant for Thriving Churches International. He is also on the board at Courage Worldwide – a wonderful organization that rescues children forced into sexual slavery. He has been a denominational executive for fifteen years with the Evangelical Free Church of America. He was senior pastor at a church in southern California for seventeen years.