12.67 In Stock
The Augustinian canons moved to Dale Abbey in 1162 from their previous home at Calke Abbey. A few years later they were replaced by Premonstratensian canons from Tupholme and finally, a few years after this, by another group of Premonstratensians from Welbeck. All these attempts failed, primarily due to the isolation of the area and the lack of good arable land amidst the thick woodlands. From around the year 1199, the Abbey became well established enough?and with the acquisition of further lands, tithes and other properties?to survive for the next 340 years. Although a relatively large establishment, the abbey was home to no more than 24 canons. The Abbey provided priests at Ilkeston, Heanor, Kirk Hallam and Stanton by Dale. The Abbey owned around 24,000 acres (97 km) of land. Much would have been leased or rented out or used for grazing or for the production of produce for the residents of the Abbey.
|Product dimensions:||5.83(w) x 8.27(h) x 0.26(d)|
About the Author
RICHARD PEARSON is a scientist at the American Museum of Natural History with a Ph.D. from Oxford University. His research has been funded by grants from NASA and the National Science Foundation, and his findings have been published in several scientific journals, including Nature.
The American Museum of Natural History is one of the largest and most respected museums in the world, with millions of visitors each year.