This new edition of the AMA Code of Medical Ethics represents the first comprehensive review and update of the AMA Code in more than half a century. The only national code of ethics for all physicians, the AMA Code articulates the core values and ethical responsibilities of physicians who are charged with curing the sick when possible and comforting the dying always. That is why the AMA Code is widely recognized as the most authoritative guide for physicians who strive to practice ethically.
This modernized edition of the AMA Code breathes new energy into this living document, while staying true to what it means to be a good doctor. The AMA Code is grounded in the nine Principles of Medical Ethics, which are the standards of conduct that define the essentials of ethical behavior for physicians. While the AMA Code provides essential guidance for physicians, it is also regularly cited as the medical profession’s authoritative voice in legal opinions, journal articles and media outlets. Such an indispensable resource deserves to be in every physician office, medical library, hospital, and place where the public’s health is promoted.
Features and Benefits
- Intuitive topical chapter structure makes finding pertinent ethical guidance easy
- A uniform format that improves the readability and application of specific guidance
- Consolidation of previously disparate guidance on related topics that streamlines the AMA Code
- An update or the retirement of significantly outdated guidance
- Use of accepted definitions and consistent terminology that minimize misinterpretation of guidance
- Inclusion of a new preface to clarify the different levels of ethical obligation in the offered guidance