This sourcebook combines extracts from contemporary documents and critical reviews with incisive commentary, providing:
- an introduction to the political, biographical and medical contexts in which Gilman was writing
- a publishing and critical history of the work with extracts from the earliest reviews through to recent criticism
- a chronology of key biographical and contextual events
- an annotated guide to further reading
- original illustrations and photographs of the author and figures related to the story.
The volume also constitutes an important critical edition, reprinting the complete original text as published in the New England Magazine in 1892, with extensive commentary.