130.0 Out Of Stock
The collegiate church of St Mary dominated the spiritual landscape of the medieval borough of Warwick, and from its foundation as a college in 1123 by Roger, earl of Warwick, it had a close relationship with its patrons, the earls. Its fifteenth-century cartulary charts that relationship and the development of the secular college from its inception, while its varied documents provide an important insight into the role of the college in local society and the interplay between the college, its canons, institutions and administrations, locally and nationally. This critical edition provides full transcripts of those documents produced before 1350, with detailed calendars of later documents. It is accompanied by a full transcript of the college's 1441 statutes and a biographical index of its fasti, with notes on their succession to prebends; and an introduction which examines the foundation of the college, its acquisition of property, and its constitutional development and character. CHARLES FONGE is University Archivist, University of Warwick.
|Publisher:||Boydell & Brewer, Limited|
|Series:||Studies in the History of Medieval Religion Series , #23|
|Product dimensions:||6.25(w) x 9.25(h) x 1.75(d)|
About the Author
Charles Fonge is the University Archivist for the University of Warwick