About the Author
KEITH L. BROOKS founded the American Prophetic League of Los Angeles in 1930. He was the author of numerous Bible study courses, books, and tracts. Although Keith passed away in 1954, his wife, Laura, continued the ministry of the American Prophetic League until 1960. The League's Prophecy Monthly eventually merged with Moody Bible Institute's Moody Monthly. The published Bible study became the Teach Yourself the Bible Series from Moody Publishers.
Read an Excerpt
Basic Bible Study For New Christians
By Keith L. Brooks
Moody PublishersCopyright © 1961 The Moody Bible Institute of Chicago
All rights reserved.
Some Truths About the Bible
1. Where is the best place to keep your Bible?
Psalm 119:11 _________________________________________
Difficult portions in the Bible
2. Will you always understand easily all you read in the Bible?
II Peter 3:15, 16 _______________________________________
3. Did the disciples always understand the words of Jesus?
Luke 9:43-45 __________________________________________
4. What promise did Jesus give them?
John 16:12, 13 _________________________________________
5. What would be a good prayer for us to offer before beginning Bible study?
Psalm 119:18 __________________________________________
How to test all religious teachings
6. What is the best way to judge all religious teachings?
Isaiah 8:20 _____________________________________________
"It isn't the Bible but the expounders of the Bible that cause diversities of teaching in Christendom. The fault rests with the fallen, corrupt nature of man, which so affects him that he fails clearly to discern truth, even when it is set before his eyes. Do not go to your Bible with stereotype ideas which you seek to confirm, but with an open mind, seeking to discover what God says. The tracks of some popular teachings, traced back through Church history, will lead you to the very entrance of the enemy's camp."
The message of the Bible
7. Who is spoken of throughout the Bible?
Luke 24:27 _____________________________________________
8. What is the very heart of the Bible message concerning this One?
I Peter 2:24 _____________________________________________
9. The following verses mention three purposes for which the Bible was given to us:
a. John 20:31 ____________________________________________
b. Romans 15:4 ___________________________________________
c. I Corinthians 10:11 ___________________________________
What to do with your Bible
(1) Study it through—Joshua 1:8
(2) Pray it in—Psalm 119:18
(3) Write it down—Isaiah 30:8
(4) Work it out—James 1:22
(5) Pass it on—Psalm 119:27, 46
The important question is, not how many times you have been through the Bible, but how many times the Bible has been through you.
The Bible is God's eternal Word
10. What claim is made for the Bible?
II Timothy 3:16, 17 ______________________________________
11. By what process did God reveal His thoughts to humanity?
II Peter 1:21 ____________________________________________
12. In what way can you account for the superiority of the Bible over human philosophy?
I Corinthians 2:13 _____________________________________
Writers of Scripture affirm that their words are divinely taught. This, of course, refers to original documents, not to translations and versions; but the labors of competent scholars have brought our English versions to such a degree of accuracy that we may confidently rest upon them as authoritative in all essential points.
I Corinthians 2:9-14 gives the process by which truth passed from the mind of God to the minds of His servants: (a) Unseen things of God are undiscoverable by the natural man (v. 9). (b) These things God has revealed to chosen men (vv. 10- 12). (c) These things are communicated in Spirit-taught words (v. 13). This does not imply mechanical dictation or the effacement of the writer's personality, but only that the Spirit guided in the choice of words from the writer's own vocabulary (v. 13). These Spirit-taught words of the Bible are spiritually discerned only by those having the Holy Spirit in them (I Corinthians 2:15, 16).
13. What did Jesus say as to His words?
Matthew 24:35 _________________________________________
14. Is it permissible to add to or subtract from the Word of God?
Deuteronomy 4:2 _______________________________________
Progress in your spiritual life
15. List some important conditions of spiritual progress.
Psalm 1:2 _______________________________________________
16. What is the best way to find guidance upon your daily path?
Psalm 119:105 ___________________________________________
17. What is God's Word able to do for you?
Acts 20:32 ______________________________________________
18. What did Jesus do to defeat Satan in the hour of temptation?
Matthew 4:4, 7, 10 ______________________________________
check-up time No. 1 ___________________
You have just studied some important truths about the Bible. Review your study by rereading the questions and your written answers. If you wish, you may use the self- check test as an aid in reviewing your lesson. If you aren't sure of an answer, reread the Scripture portion given to see if you can find the answer. Then take this test to see how well you understand important truths you have studied.
In the right-hand margin write "True" or "False" after each of the following statements.
1. There are no difficult portions in the Bible. ___________ 2. The best way to judge all religious teachings is to compare them with the Scriptures. ___________ 3. The Bible was given by God through men who were moved by the Holy Spirit. ___________ 4. The disciples always understood the words of Jesus. ___________ 5. God uses the Bible as a means of guiding His children. ___________ 6. The Holy Spirit leads believers into all truth. ___________ 7. Tradition carries as much weight for spiritual instruction as the Bible does. ___________ 8. The fruitful believer is one who daily meditates on God's Word. ___________ 9. The Lord Jesus defeated temptation by arguing with Satan. ___________ 10. It is well to offer a prayer for enlightenment before studying God's Word. ___________CHAPTER 2
God's Way of Salvation
What the Bible reveals
1. What is the great purpose of the revelation of Scripture?
John 20:31 __________________________________________
Man's blindness to the gospel
2. Why can't some people understand the Bible?
I Corinthians 2:14; 1:18 ______________________________
3. What is the explanation of the fact that many educated men of the world do not accept the Bible message concerning salvation?
Isaiah 55:8, 9 ________________________________________
The Bible Exposes man's sin
4. Why do sinful men dislike the Bible?
John 3:19, 20 ________________________________________
5. How does the Bible search men's hearts?
Hebrews 4:12 _______________________________________
God's Word will prevail
6. What is the best way to find out whether or not the Bible is God's Word?
a. Hebrews 10:16 ________________________________________
b. John 7:17 ____________________________________________
c. I John 5:10 __________________________________________
The Holy Spirit bears witness to the truth of the Bible, and the vital experience given to those who accept Christ is the final answer to all assaults upon the Word of God. Christianity still works powerfully wherever it is truly accepted.
7. What is said about the gospel of Christ?
Romans 1:16 _________________________________________
Ideas about salvation
8. Will a way of salvation which a person has devised for himself, even though there is much good about it, suffice to bring the soul to God?
a. Isaiah 53:6 __________________________________________
b. Isaiah 55:8 __________________________________________
c. John 14:6 ____________________________________________
9. Is it possible that a way that seems right to a person may be altogether the wrong way to be saved?
Proverbs 14:12 ______________________________________
Is salvation by works?
10. What does the Bible say about salvation by personal merit?
a. Galatians 2:16 _______________________________________
b. Ephesians 2:8, 9 _____________________________________
c. Romans 4:5 ___________________________________________
d. Titus 3:5, 6 _________________________________________
e. II Timothy 1:9 _______________________________________
11. Is there such a thing as personal righteousness of sufficient value to purchase eternal life?
Isaiah 64:6 _____________________________________________
What must man acknowledge?
12. What must a person acknowledge before he can be saved?
a. Romans 3:23 _________________________________________
b. Luke 15:18 ___________________________________________
c. Luke 18:13 ___________________________________________
13. Will God listen to those who are truly repentant?
Isaiah 55:7 __________________________________________
The cost of man's redemption
14. What is God's remedy for sin?
I Corinthians 15:3-5 _______________________________
15. What price did sin call for before men could be saved?
I Peter 1:18, 19 ____________________________________
16. On what terms does God make salvation available to the sinner?
Romans 6:23 ________________________________________
Believing and receiving Christ
17. What is the only way of salvation?
a. John 3:16 ____________________________________________
b. John 1:12 ____________________________________________
18. Why are people lost?
a. John 3:36 _____________________________________________
b. John 16:9 _____________________________________________
19. How can the unbeliever pass from spiritual death into eternal life?
John 5:24 _____________________________________________
Christ died for sinners
20. Are there any who are such great sinners that God cannot save them?
Isaiah 1:18 __________________________________________
21. For what class of people did Christ make His sacrifice?
Luke 19:10 _________________________________________
22. How many does this include?
Isaiah 53:6 ________________________________________
23. What did Paul say?
I Timothy 1:15 _____________________________________
When can a Person be Saved?
24. When is the best time to consider the question of one's eternal destiny?
a. II Corinthians 6:2 __________________________________
b. Isaiah 55:6 __________________________________________
c. Hebrews 3:13 _______________________________________
25. Why is it important to give heed immediately to the drawing power of the Holy Spirit?
John 6:44 _____________________________________________
Does it last?
26. When Christ saves from the penalty of sin, can He also keep the believer from the power of sin?
a. Jude 24 _______________________________________________
b. I Peter 1:5 ____________________________________________
c. Philippians 1:6 ________________________________________
27. Why does Christ's power to save extend throughout life—and forever?
Hebrews 7:25 _______________________________________
You have just studied some important truths about salvation. Review your study by rereading the questions and your written answers. If you aren't sure of an answer, reread the Scripture portion given to see if you can find the answer. Then take the following test to see how well you understand important truths you have studied.
check-up time No. 2 ___________________
In the right-hand margin write "True" or "False" after each of the following statements.
1. The Bible can be understood by everybody. ____________________
2. Sinful men often dislike the Bible because it searches their hearts. ____________________
3. Salvation must be accepted as a free gift from God. ____________________
4. It doesn't matter what a person believes as long as he is sincere. ____________________
5. It is a good thing to postpone considering the question of salvation until later in life, when one's opinions will be more mature. ____________________
6. The gospel is declared to be the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes it. ____________________
7. The Bible encourages people to do the best they can in order to have God's approval. ____________________
8. The Lord Jesus paid the penalty of sin. ____________________
9. There are some people who are too bad to be saved. ____________________
10. Paul told Timothy that Christ died for sinners and that he (Paul) was the chief of them. ____________________CHAPTER 3
Our Blessings in Christ
The moment we truly accept Christ we are justified by faith. (The word "justified" means that we are "made as though we had never sinned in the sight of God.") God has much more for us than this, however. Let us see what it really means to possess all that God holds out to the Christian.
Heirs of life eternal
1. If one is truly a member of Christ's flock, what promise has he?
John 10:28 _______________________________________________
2. What will be the climax of this life in Christ?
II Timothy 1:9, 10 _________________________________________
3. What does God say to those who will come apart from the world that rejects Christ, and live the separated life?
II Corinthians 6:17, 18 _____________________________________
Joint heirs with Christ
4. If we are God's children, what more can be said of us?
Romans 8:17 _____________________________________________
5. If the Holy Spirit is in our hearts, what follows?
Galatians 4:6, 7 _________________________________________
6. Who intercedes for the believer, even though, in a moment of weakness, he commits a sin?
I John 2:1, 2 _______________________________________________
7. Is our salvation dependent on our own efforts to live good lives?
Hebrews 7:25 ______________________________________________
God chastens His children
8. How does God deal with His children who backslide and become disobedient?
Hebrews 12:5-9 ____________________________________________
9. Why are Christians thus dealt with?
I Corinthians 11:31, 32 ______________________________________
10. Even though one who is truly on the foundation, Jesus Christ, may lose reward by not serving Him as he should, what is his eternal destiny?
I Corinthians 3:11, 15 ________________________________________
11. Can one live a happy Christian life even while he is disobedient?
Psalm 32:2-5 _________________________________________________
If we sin ...
12. What should we do when we realize that we have sinned?
Isaiah 55:7 _________________________________________________
13. What will God do then?
I John 1:9 __________________________________________________
Test salvation for reality
14. What should justification give us?
Romans 5:1 _________________________________________________
15. On what basis alone do we know that we are God's children?
Galatians 3:26 _____________________________________________
16. What is one of the earliest proofs that we are truly saved?
I John 3:14 __________________________________________________
The crowning day is coming
17. Over and above the salvation we have in Christ, what shall we receive at the judgment seat of Christ?
I Corinthians 3:14; II Corinthians 5:10 _______________________
18. If we want to receive great reward, what must we do?
Luke 6:35 _____________________________________________________
19. What does Paul exhort us to do?
I Corinthians 9:24 ____________________________________________
Guidance for every day
20. What promise is given us for all our daily perplexities and duties?
Isaiah 58:11 _________________________________________________
21. If we want to follow God's teaching, who will show us the way to go?
Isaiah 48:17 _________________________________________________
22. What is a sure way of securing divine direction?
Proverbs 3:6 _______________________________________________
God guards His children
23. What assurance may a Christian have at all times?
Romans 8:38, 39 _____________________________________________
24. By what power will he be kept to the end?
I Peter 1:5 __________________________________________________
God makes full provision
25. Need we worry about material needs?
Philippians 4:19 ______________________________________________
26. Need we worry about our ability to carry on?
Philippians 4:13 ______________________________________________
When a Christian Dies
27. Even if we face death, what is our comfort?
Philippians 1:21 ______________________________________________
28. What always awaits us ahead?
I Peter 1:4 ___________________________________________________
Check-up time no. 3 ___________________
What have you learned in this lesson? Review the lesson in the light of the self-check test below. Check carefully any questions you can't answer. Be sure you have filled in the blanks correctly. When you think you are ready, take the test without looking up the answers.
In the right-hand margin write "True" or "False" after each of the following statements.
1. An early proof of true salvation is to be found in real love for fellow Christians. ____________________
2. Those who are truly saved are made joint heirs with Christ. ____________________
3. When a believer dies, he goes immediately to be with Christ. ____________________
4. The Christian has an Advocate to plead his cause before God. ____________________
5. The Christian should learn to overlook his sins because he has eternal life. ____________________
Excerpted from Basic Bible Study For New Christians by Keith L. Brooks. Copyright © 1961 The Moody Bible Institute of Chicago. Excerpted by permission of Moody Publishers.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.
Table of Contents
ContentsLesson 1: Some Truths About the Bible,
Lesson 2: God's Way of Salvation,
Lesson 3: Our Blessings in Christ,
Lesson 4: The Consecrated Life,
Lesson 5: How to Meet Temptation,
Lesson 6: How to Pray,
Lesson 7: Building a Christian Character,
Lesson 8: Witnessing for Christ to Others,