The Long-Awaited Revision of the Bestselling Family Health Guide
""This completely updated fourth edition of our bestselling health reference is comprehensive, easy to understand, and even more user-friendly than the previous editions. We're excited to provide our patients with an invaluable resource to help them become more involved in their own health care. We think this is a book that belongs on the bookshelf in every home.""
-AMA President John C. Nelson, MD, MPH
The American Medical Association is the nation's premier health authority-an organization that both patients and doctors look to for state-of-the-art medical information and guidance. Now, for the first time in 10 years, the AMA has updated its landmark medical reference-a book that belongs in every home.
This new edition of the American Medical Association Family Medical Guide has been thoroughly revised to bring it up to date and make it more accessible than ever before. Opening with a brand-new full-color section that walks you through key health issues, it follows with several new and expanded sections on everything from staying healthy and providing first aid and home care to diagnosing symptoms and treating hundreds of different diseases and disorders. This classic guide is the definitive home health reference for the twenty-first century-an indispensable book to keep you and your loved ones healthy.
* Authoritative guidance on hundreds of diseases and the latest tests, treatments, procedures, and drugs
* New or greatly expanded coverage of genetic testing, sexuality, learning disabilities, preventive health, infertility, pregnancy and childbirth, substance abuse, home caregiving, and first aid
* A host of new and updated features-including full-color spreads on important health topics, Q&A sections, first-person case histories, and newly designed symptoms flowcharts
* New chapters on diet and health, exercise and fitness, maintaining a healthy weight, reducing stress, genetics, complementary and alternative medicine, staying safe and preventing violence, cosmetic surgery, and preventive health care
* A new section on health issues at various life stages
* 64 pages in full color and almost 1,000 illustrations and photographs
About the Author
Table of ContentsPART ONE. WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: INFORMATION TO KEEP YOUR HEALTHY.
PART TWO. STAYING HEALTHY.
Chapter 1. Diet and health.
Chapter 2. Exercise, fitness, and health.
Chapter 3. A healthy weight.
Chapter 4. Reducing stress.
Chapter 5. Staying safe
Chapter 6. Preventing violence.
Chapter 7. Preventive health care (includes a 32-page 4-color section-regular checkups, self-exams, atlas of the body, dermatology photos, common screening and diagnostic tests (including 4-color imaging scans).
Chapter 8. Complementary and alternative medicine.
PART THREE. FIRST AID AND CAREGIVING.
Chapter 1. First aid.
Chapter 2. Home caregiving.
PART FOUR. WHAT ARE YOUR SYMPTOMS?
PART FIVE. HEALTH ISSUES THROUGHOUT LIFE.
Chapter 1. Children's health.
Chapter 2. Adolescent health.
Chapter 3. Sexuality.
Chapter 4. Infertility.
Chapter 5. Pregnancy and childbirth.
Chapter 6. Dying and death.
PART SIX. DISEASES, DISORDERS, AND OTHER PROBLEMS.
Chapter 1. Disorders of the heart and circulation.
Chapter 2. Blood disorders.
Chapter 3. Disorders of the respiratory system.
Chapter 4. Disorders of the brain and nervous system.
Chapter 5. Behavioral, emotional, and mental disorders.
Chapter 6. Disorders of the digestive system.
Chapter 7. Disorders of the urinary tract.
Chapter 8. Disorders of the male reproductive system.
Chapter 9. Disorders of the female reproductive system and urinary tract.
Chapter 10. Hormonal disorders.
Chapter 11. Disorders of the immune system.
Chapter 12. Infections and infestations.
Chapter 13. Genetic disorders.
Chapter 14. Disorders of the bones, muscles, and joints.
Chapter 15. Disorders of the ear.
Chapter 16. Eye disorders.
Chapter 17: Disorders of the skin, hair, and nails.
Chapter 18. Cosmetic surgery.
Chapter 19. Teeth and gums.
Drug Glossary: Describes the top 200 prescription drugs.
Glossary: Includes common medical terms found in the book.