Harper shares vivid memories of growing up in Los Angeles through the 1960s among famous and small-town musicians, raising Ben, and the historic Folk Music Center.
This beautifully written memoir includes stories of Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Joan Baez, The New Lost City Ramblers, Doc Watson, and many more.
• Harper takes readers on an intimate journey through the folk music revival.
• The book spans a transformational time in music, history, and American culture.
• Covers historical events from the love-ins, women's rights protests, and the assassination of John F. Kennedy to the popularization of the sitar and the ukulele.
• Includes full-color photo insert.
"Growing up, an endless stream of musicians and artists came from across the country to my family's music store. Bess Lomax Hawes, Joan Baez, Sonny Terry, and Brownie McGee—all the singers, organizers, guitar and banjo pickers and players, songwriters, painters, dancers, their husbands, wives, and children—we were all in it together. And we believed singing could change the world."—Ellen Harper
Music lovers and history buffs will enjoy this rare invitation into a world of stories and song that inspired folk music today.
• A must-read for lovers of music, history, and those nostalgic for the acoustic echo of the original folk music that influenced a generation
• Harper's parents opened the legendary Folk Music Center in Claremont, California, as well as the revered folk music venue The Golden Ring.
• A perfect book for people who are obsessed with folk music, all things 1960s, learning about musical movements, or California history
• Great for those who loved Small Town Talk: Bob Dylan, The Band, Van Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Friends in the Wild Years of Woodstock by Barney Hoskyns; and Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon—and the Journey of a Generation by Sheila Weller.
|Publisher:||Chronicle Books LLC|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||5 MB|
About the Author
Table of Contents
Foreword Ben Harper ix
Introduction: Voices of the People 1
1 Peace Through Music 5
2 The Blacklist 19
3 Sweet Home California 35
4 The House on Seventh Street 49
5 East Meets West 61
6 Revelations 71
7 Gravy, Grapefruit, and the Big Green Chair 83
8 Freight Train, Freight Train 95
9 The Cat's Pajamas 107
10 Tuned in, Dropped Out 125
11 Looking for Jimi 147
12 Demon Rum 165
13 Single Mom 183
14 I Walk into the Rising Sun 203
15 City of Dreams 225
About the Author 242