The Field Guide for Followers of Christ by Keith Martens, MDiv is for those pursuing a life of discipleship under the Lordship of Jesus Christ to advance His Kingdom on earth. It contains instructions for personal ministry and is a helpful and convenient guide for individual or small group use in personal ministry settings, in evangelism and missions outreach, on prayer teams, or in settings where you have the opportunity to minister to individuals with the love and power of Christ.
The primary emphasis is upon the person and ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ who is both present in us and with us when we gather in His Name. Therefore, the material provided in this Field Guide is not a program or series of steps to follow. We pray it will guide you into having a dynamic and interactive encounter with Jesus Christ through the counsel and empowerment of the Holy Spirit along with others He has gifted in His Body, the Church. You will be able to experientially participate with Jesus in His life and ministry of proclaiming the Good News and seeing others set free.
From observing the Gospel accounts, we see that the most essential characteristics of Jesus' life and ministry that we must understand and practice are:
- Consistent and purposeful dependence on the Father through the Holy Spirit's counsel and empowerment.
- Expressions of authority and power evident in His teaching, healing, and encounters with Satan and the Kingdom of darkness.
- Obedience to the Father to advance His Kingdom through the declaration and assertion of God's truth.
Similarly, in the Book of Acts we observe how the early church continues the ministry of Jesus. They, too, demonstrated a vital dependence on the Holy Spirit to empower and guide them in every area of life. Instead of a simplistic presentation of Gospel or a programmatic approach to evangelism, we see these early disciples continuing the same ministry Jesus began - preaching not only the message about Jesus but the Good News of the Kingdom which was central to Jesus' teaching. They also continued Jesus' ministry and the commission He gave them to heal the sick, cast out demons and raise the dead as part of their message of the Good News. Their message, as the Apostle Paul says, was given with not only words but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power that led to believing faith. The power and authority of Christ are now available to all believers through the Holy Spirit who was sent to them (Acts 1:8; 3:1-9;13:9-12;16:16-18).
We pray this book will guide you into a dynamic and interactive encounter with Jesus Christ through the counsel and empowerment of the Holy Spirit. For more information about Kingdom Ministries and Counseling Center
Related collections and offers
|Publisher:||Perfect Marketing Team|
|Product dimensions:||5.00(w) x 8.00(h) x 0.31(d)|
About the Author
Ministry: by uniting and equipping bodies of believers to advance God's Kingdom through prayer and personal ministry to bring freedom and restoration to those in need and fulfill God's purpose in our churches, homes, local communities and in the lives of others.
Prayer: by providing teaching and practical tools for effective biblical prayer and the utilization of Christ's authority to expose and resolve potential influences of evil that seek to hinder freedom and the advancement of God's purpose in any life situation.
Discipleship: by introducing others to a lifestyle and ministry under the Lordship of Jesus Christ in dynamic union with His Body, the Church; to emulate the life and ministry of Jesus Christ-purposed to know and do the will of the Father, led and empowered by the Holy Spirit to live, minister, and advance God's Kingdom.
Freedom & Restoration: by providing tools for personal freedom and restoration that enables oneself and others to fulfill the purpose for which they were created and gifted in Christ Jesus; providing a 'team approach' to ministry, corporate discernment, and a model for testing and resolving emotional and spiritual conflicts at their point of origin.
In partnership with our Counseling Center, Kingdom Ministries provides:
Professional Counseling Services: licensed professional counselors integrate a spiritual and psychological approach toward resolving interpersonal and unresolved conflicts at their point of origin. Kingdom Counseling Center exists to be a vessel of the Holy Spirit's counsel to bring healing and restoration to wholeness through the transforming power of Christ.
Keith received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Fresno Pacific University and his Master of Divinity degree from Fresno Pacific University Biblical Seminary, formerly the Mennonite Brethren Biblical Seminary. He has served in church leadership, pastoral ministry and was involved in campus ministry for more than ten years at Fresno Pacific University and Fresno Christian Schools where he served as Campus Pastor and adjunct professor of Biblical Studies.
Keith also directed a wilderness leadership program and short-term missions outreach for both college and high school-aged students. He is a frequent speaker at various churches, conferences and mission training centers. Keith lives near Fresno, California with his wife Joan, a Marriage & Family Therapist. They have two children, Lindsey and Landon.
Table of ContentsSECTION I - ORIENTATION
1. Relying on the Holy Spirit's Counsel and Power
2. Utilizing Jesus' Power and Authority
3. Declaring and Accepting God's Truth
SECTION II - THE NATURE AND PRACTICE OF BIBLICAL AND EFFECTIVE PRAYER
4. A General Pattern of Biblical Prayer
5. A Checklist for Effective Prayer
6. Praying Together
7. Contrasting Intercession, Authority, and Interactive Prayer
8. Addressing Potential Environmental Influences of Evil
9. Addressing Potential Personal Influences of Evil that Affect Others
10. Corporate Expressions of Authority and Prayer
11. Taking Thoughts and Feelings Captive
SECTION III - KINGDOM EVANGELISM AND OUTREACH
12. Biblical Evangelism
13. Signs of the Kingdom of God
14. Practical Guidelines for Preaching the Good News of the Kingdom of God
15. Environment First
16. Leading Others to Follow Christ as Lord
17. Baptizing in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
18. Praying for Those Who Are Sick
19. Freeing Those Who Are Oppressed
20. What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do
21. Interventions and Applications For Deliverance
22. Ministry and Engaging in Spiritual Warfare
23. The Principle of Christ's Sovereign Rule
CONCLUSION - FINAL THOUGHTS
24. Closing Comments
25. Appendix: Atypical Responses to Prayer Ministry