- Presents 50 key research studies in Oral and Maxillofacial surgery along with full analysis
- Includes key studies on all the sub-specialty areas
- Provides additional commentary from the original author, expert, or editorproviding a valuable perspective on why the study is important
- Constitutes essential reading for trainees, residents & fellows, and surgeons studying for boards
- Distills all the literature into a compact guide on the must-know scientific articles
|Publisher:||Taylor & Francis|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.06(h) x (d)|
About the Author
Peter Brennan, Consultant Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon, Portsmouth Hospitals, Professor of surgery
Table of ContentsSECTION ONE: Anatomy
- A Modified Pre-Auricular Approach to the Temporomandibular Joint and Malar Arch.
- Bone healing and revascularization after total maxillary osteotomy. J Oral Surg. 1975 Apr;33(4):253-60.
- Surgical anatomy of the mandibular ramus of the facial nerve based on the dissection of 100 facial halves. Plast Reconstr Surg Transplant Bull. 1962 Mar;29:266-72.
- The superficial musculo-aponeurotic system (SMAS) in the parotid and cheek area. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1976 Jul;58(1):80-8.
- Post-traumatic orbital reconstruction: anatomical landmarks and the concept of the deep orbit. British Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. 2007 Apr;45(3):183–9.
- The patterns of cervical lymph-node metastases from squamous carcinoma of the oral cavity. Cancer. 1990;66:109-113.
- Postoperative irradiation with or without concomitant chemotherapy for locally advanced head and neck cancer. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Trial 22931. N Engl J Med. 2004;350(19):1945-52
- Sentinel European Node Trial (SENT): 3-year results of sentinel node biopsy in oral cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2015 Dec;51(18):2777-84.
- Human papillomavirus and survival of patients with oropharyngeal cancer. N Engl J Med. 2010 Jul 1;363(1):24-35. doi: 10. 1056/NEJMoa0912217. Epub 2010 Jun 7.
- Elective versus Therapeutic Neck Dissection in Node-Negative Oral Cancer. N Engl J Med. 2015;373(6):521-9
- Tumour thickness as a predictor of nodal metastases in oral cancer: comparison between tongue and floor of mouth subsites. Oral Oncol. 2014 Dec;50(12):1165-8.
- Analysis of 49 cases of flap compromise in 1310 free flaps for head and neck reconstruction. Head Neck. 2009 ;31(1):45-51
- A Technique for Cleft Palate Repair. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 112: 1542, 2003.
- Alveolar Cleft Bone Grafting (Part II): Secondary Bone Grafting. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 54:83-88, 1996.
- Cleft Lip, Cleft Palate, and Velopharyngeal Insufficiency. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 128: 342e, 2011.
- A study of facial growth in patients with unilateral cleft lip and palate treated by the Oslo CLP team. Cleft Palate–Craniofacial Journal 1991:28(1); 1-21. Semb G.
- Bilateral cleft lip and nose repair. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 49 (2011) 165–171.
- Timing of treatment for craniosynostosis and faciocraniosynostosis: a 20-year experience. British journal of plastic surgery. 1994 Jan 1;47(4):211-22.
- Lengthening the Human Mandible by Gradual Distraction. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1992 Jan 1;89(1):1-8.
- Advancement of the orbits and the midface in one piece, combined with frontal repositioning, for the correction of Crouzon's deformities. Plastic and reconstructive surgery. 1978 Apr;61(4):507-16.
- Posterior skull surgery in craniosynostosis. Child's Nervous System. 1996 Nov 1;12(11):727-33.
- Update on oral lichen planus: etiopathogenesis and management. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 1998;9(1):86-122.
- The diagnosis and management of recurrent aphthous stomatitis: a consensus approach. J Am Dent Assoc. 2003
- The radiological prediction of inferior alveolar nerve injury during third molar surgery. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 1990 Feb 1;28(1):20-5.
- Outcomes of nonsurgical retreatment and endodontic surgery: a systematic review. Journal of endodontics.
- A 15-year study of osseointegrated implants in the treatment of the edentulous jaw. International journal of oral surgery. 1981 Jan 1;10(6):387-416.
- Osteonecrosis of the jaws associated with the use of bisphosphonates: a review of 63 cases. Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery. 2004 May 1;62(5):527-34.
- Impacted maxillary canines: a review. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. Ortho D. 1992 Feb 1;101(2):159-71.
- The anatomical location of the mandibular canal: its relationship to the sagittal rams osteotomy. Int J Adult Orthodon Orthognath Surgery 1986; 1:37-47
- Posterior maxillary surgery: its place in the treatment of dentofacial deformities. J Oral Surgery 1972; 30;562
- A modification of the pterygoid plate separation in low-level maxillary osteotomies. J Oral Maxillofacial Surgery 1983; 41:544-546
- Outcome of minimally invasive management of salivary calculi in 4,691 patients. Laryngoscope. 2009 Feb;119(2):263-8. doi: 10. 1002/lary. 20008.
- Sialendoscopy for the management of obstructive salivary gland disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012 Jun;138(6):541-7. doi: 10. 1001/archoto. 2012. 856. Review.
- Extracapsular Dissection for Benign Parotid Tumors: A Meta-Analysis
- Capsular significance in parotid tumor surgery: reality and myths of lateral lobectomy. Laryngoscope 1984; 94: 324-9.
- Long-term follow-up of over 1000 patients with salivary gland tumours treated in a single centre. Br J Surg 1996; 83, 1750-1754.
- Final trial report of sentinel-node biopsy versus nodal observation in melanoma. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014 Feb 13;370(7):599-609.
- Excision margins in high-risk malignant melanoma. New England Journal of Medicine. 2004 Feb 19;350(8):757-66.
- Multiprofessional guidelines for the management of the patient with primary cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. British Journal of Dermatology. 2002 Jan;146(1):18-25.
- Arthroscopy of the temporomandibular joint. J Stomato Soc Japan 1975; 42; 207-12.
- Internal derangement of the temporomandibular joint. Pathological variations. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 115(4); 469-477 1989.
- Temporomandibular joint arthrocentesis: a simplified treatment for severe limited mouth opening. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 49 (11): 1163-1167, 1991.
- Symptoms of temporomandibular joint ostoarthrosis and internal derangement 30 years after non surgical treatment. Cranio 1995; 13(2); 81-8
- Twenty year follow up study on a patient fitted total temporomandibular joint reconstruction system. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015;73;952-60.
- The Importance of the Zygomatic Arch in Complex Midfacial Fracture Repair and Correction of Posttraumatic Orbitozygomatic Deformities. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1990 Jun 1;85(6):878.
- Twenty-Six–Year Experience Treating Frontal Sinus Fractures: A Novel Algorithm Based on Anatomical Fracture Pattern and Failure of Conventional Techniques. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008 Dec;122(6):1850–66.
- Management of the Medial Canthal Tendon in Nasoethmoid Orbital Fractures: The Importance of the Central Fragment in Classification and Treatment. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1991 May 1;87(5):843.
- Fractures of the edentulous mandible: the Chalmer J. Lyons Academy study. J Oral Surg. 1976 Nov;34(11):973–9.
- Open versus closed treatment of fractures of the mandibular condylar process–a prospective randomized multi-centre study. Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery. 2006 Jul;34(5):306–14.
- Computer-Assisted Secondary Reconstruction of Unilateral Posttraumatic Orbital Deformity. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002 Nov 1;110(6):1417.
Adil Al-Kayat and Paul Bramley
Reviewed by Oliver Mitchell and Madan Ethunandan
Bell WH, Fonseca RJ, Kenneky JW, Levy BM
Reviewed by Ghaly Ghaly
Reed O Dingman and William C Grabb
Reviewed by Sid Gowrishankar
Mitz V, Peyronie M.
Reviewed by Sundeep Thusu
Evans BT, Webb AA
Reviewed by MISSING
SECTION TWO: Cancer
Jatin Shah, Frank Candela and Anil Podder
Reviewed by*Jag Dhanda and Raghuram Boyapati
Bernier J, Domenge C, Ozsahin M, Matuszewska K, Lefèbvre JL, Greiner RH, Giralt J, Maingon P, Rolland F, Bolla M, Cognetti F, Bourhis J, Kirkpatrick A, van Glabbeke M
Reviewed by Stergios Doumas and Anastasios Kanatas
Schilling C, Stoeckli SJ, Haerle SK, Broglie MAet al.
Reviewed by*Jacob D'Souza and Raghuram Boyapati
Ang KK, Harris J, Wheeler R, Weber R, Rosenthal DI, Nguyen-Tân PF, Westra WH, Chung CH, Jordan RC, Lu C, Kim H, Axelrod R, Silverman CC, Redmond KP, Gillison ML.
Reviewed by Andrew Schache
D'Cruz AK, Vaish R, Kapre N, et al.
Reviewed by David Mitchell
Balasubramanian D, Ebrahimi A, Gupta R, Gao K, Elliott M, Palme CE, Clark JR.
Reviewed by Peyman Alam, Robert Isaac, Tomas Svoboda, Peter A Brennan
Yu P, Chang DW, Miller MJ, Reece G, Robb GL.
Reviewed by Alasdair Mckechmie
Brian C Sommerlad
Reviewed by Tom W. M. Walker and Alistair R. M. Cobb
SECTION THREE: Cleft
Mark W Ochs
Reviewed by John Rowson*, David Grimes and Cristina Frezzini
David M. Fisher, Brian C. Sommerlad
Reviewed by Simon Van Eeden
Reviewed by Alistair G. Smyth
Penfold C, Dominguez-Gonzalez S.
Reviewed by Victoria Beale
SECTION FOUR: Craniofacial
Marchac D, Renier D, Broumand S.
Reviewed by Jennifer Vesey and Ben Robertson
McCarthy JG, Schreiber J, Karp N, Thorne CH, Grayson BH.
Reviewed by*David M McGoldrick and Kevin McMillan
Ortiz-Monasterio F, Carrillo A.
Reviewed by Günter Lauer
Sgouros S, Goldin JH, Hockley AD, Wake MJ.
Reviewed by NJ Opie
SECTION FIVE: Oral Medicine
Scully C, Beyli M, Ferreiro MC, Ficarra G, Gill Y, Griffiths M, Holmstrup P, Mutlu S, Porter S, Wray D.
Reviewed by Cameron M Herbert and Esther A Hullah
Scully C, Gorsky M, Lozada-Nur F.
Reviewed by Kathleen Fan and Emma Hayes
SECTION SIX: Oral Surgery
Rood JP & Noraldeen Shehab
Reviewed by Vinod Patel
Mahmoud Torabinejad, Robert Corr, Handysides, Shahrokh Shabahang
Reviewed by Johno Breeze
Adell R, Lekholm U, Rockler BR, Brånemark PI.
Reviewed by Baucke van Minnen
Salvatore L. Ruggiero, Bhoomi Mehrotra, Tracey J. Rosenberg, Stephen L. Engroff
Reviewed by*Simon Rogers and Derek Lowe
Reviewed by*Alice Cameron and Serryth Colbert
SECTION SEVEN: Orthognathic
Rachel J, Ellis E (3rd), Fonseca RJ.
Reviewed by Stephen Walsh
West RA, Epker BN
Reviewed by*Greg J. Knepil and Graham R. Oliver
SECTION EIGHT: Salivary
Trimble LD, Tideman H, Stoelinga PJW.
Reviewed by Jan De Lange
IroH, Zenk J, Escudier M, Nahlieli O, Capaccio P, Katz P, Brown J, McGurk M.
Reviewed by Katherine S. George and Rafal Niziol
Strychowsky JE, Sommer DD, Gupta MK, Cohen N, Nahlieli O.
Reviewed by *Soudeh Chegini and Mark McGurk
W. Greer Albergotti, Shaun A. Nguyen, Johannes Zenk, M. Boyd Gillesuperficial parotidectomyie.
Reviewed by Konstantinos Mantsopoulos
Donovan DT, Conley JJ.
Reviewed by Toby Pitts-Tucker and Costa Repanos
Renehan A, Gleave EN, Hancock BD, Smith P, McGurk M.
Reviewed by Stergios Doumas and Michael Ho
SECTION NINE: Skin
Morton DL, Thompson JF, Cochran AJ, Mozzillo N, Nieweg OE, Roses DF, Hoekstra HJ, Karakousis CP, Puleo CA, Coventry BJ, Kashani-Sabet M.
Reviewed by Peter T. Glen and Daryl Godden
Thomas JM, Newton-Bishop J, A'Hern R, Coombes G, Timmons M, Evans J, Cook M, Theaker J, Fallowfield M, O'Neill T, Ruka W.
Reviewed by Elizabeth A Gruber
Motley R, Kersey P, Lawrence C.
Reviewed by Lisa Greaney
SECTION TEN: Temporomandibular joint
Reviewed by Florencio Monje
Reviewed by*Carrol P. Saridin and Pieter G. Raijmakers
Dorritt W. Nitzan, M. Franklin Dolwick and Garza Alejanero Martinez
Reviewed by Jason Green
De Leeuw R, Boering G, Stegenga B et al.
Reviewed by Andrew Sidebottom
Wolford LM, Mercuri LG, Schneidermann ED et al.
Reviewed by Nadeem R Saeed
SECTION ELEVEN: Trauma
Gruss JS, Wyck LV, Phillips JH, Antonyshyn O.
Reviewed by Harald Essig
Rodriguez ED, Stanwix MG, Nam AJ, St Hilaire H, Simmons OP, Christy MR, et al.
Reviewed by Eric J. Dierks
Markowitz BL, Manson PN, Sargent L, Vander Kolk CA, Yaremchuk M, Glassman D, et al.
Reviewed by Bauke Van Minnen
Bruce RA, Strachan DS.
Reviewed by Indran Balasunadaram and , M. Perry
Eckelt U, Schneider M, Erasmus F, Gerlach KL, Kuhlisch E, Loukota R, et al.
Reviewed by Henry Leonhardt and Adrian Franke
Gellrich N-C, Schramm A, Hammer B, Rojas S, Cufi D, Lagrèze W, et al.
Reviewed by Ruud Schreurs and Leander Dubois